Possible tool and materials swap

Kdog

I am thinking about doing a tools and materials swap starting in January. The medium flat rate box is 12.65 to ship and I have accumulated enough goodies to pretty much fill one to start a swap. And I have a few buddies that may be willing to donate some goodies to help out.

The last swap was a bit problematic but I think the problem could gave been averted gad we used a box liner to prevent things from going all over if box got opened during handling.

Anyhow, Here is what I am thinking. Take up to 20 items, replace with an equal amount of items. Keep everything fitting in the medium flat rate box
11 x 8-1/2 x 5-1/2. Pack your items in small bags and avoid Large items, reels, Powdercoat set ups, big chunks of fur, whole wings, 100's of plastics all in one bag, etc.

small zip lock snack bags are ideal somewhere around 3x5 in size and hold a nice piece of fur, several dozen feathers good bunch of hackle or flash or most materials. the 1x2 and 2x3 bags we use for swaps are great for smaller items such as eyes, spools of thread, chenille etc

So what do y'all think? Is there enough interest to get this going again?

QPassage

Count me in,
I was thinking it might be nice after the sign up is locked, to make it go around 2 times. That offers a chance for everyone to check out all the goodies from all the others. Just a thought is all. I' would be a good second person on the list, hence to allow for a full box ;). Or if you prefer I can send you some things. I like the idea of keeping the box full and keeping it in the $12.65 shipping cost/box.

bucktail

Sorry to bring up a old thread but went on a search of material swap and this one came up,was this something that went through?if so how was the outcome?seems like a good way to get some materials and other goodies we may never see in our areas,was thinking about starting a thread on this kind of swap until I seen this one

Kdog

Bucktail, the idea at the time seemed sound, but I have participated in tool and material swaps on this site and several others and yes, you get all sorts of materials, some never before seen. But the problems that seem to crop up, IMO outweigh any advantages gained. However, feel free to start a new post seeing if there is enough interest.  I think there are a few from prior swaps that may be interested and willing to give it a go again. If my memory serves correctly, the last one we did, all the left overs got donated to a boyscout troop or something similar. Seems  like a few that responded to my post, would still be interested and I know they are still active.

bucktail

I was thinking more along the lines of me filling a small flat rate box sending it to a member ,he then can take up too 2 or 3
items from the box,putting in items that equal or greater the value taken,then he sends to another member ,so on and so on until all that wanted in get to participate,then when I get it back have different stuff than went out being the host??
One thing is for sure I don't mail stuff out Alot and don't know the cheapest/best way to send things but willing to try this if we can get 5 or 6 guys at a minimum??

Uncle Grump

Bucktail

What you are proposing sounds like the one I participated in here on Jigcraft some years back. I'd do it again. A small flat rate box isn't terribly spendy to mail.

UG

Back