Pond at work, 5/2/2015

AllenOK

Decided to see if the fish still wanted to play. Grabbed my UL rod, 6 lbs test Nanofil, a new Thill spring-clip weighted balsa float, and this jig:

Peacock and Starling jig/fly

Wicked little 1/80 thing that I tied up a couple months ago.

Water conditions are fairly clear water (for Oklahoma), visibility about 3'. Not sure about water temp. Wind was out of the south about 15 mph (why I wasn't using a fly rod). A nice little chop on the water that I was hoping would have the bobber giving the jig some nice action. Lots and LOTS of green filamentous algae is starting to grow on the bottom, with occasional bunches that make it up to the surface. A lot of those had broken loose in the wind and drifted to the wind-blown bank. The rest were still anchored. You can had to pick and choose casting/retrieve lanes through the patchwork of algae. Which is a good thing, as the algae is only cover out in open water.

I decided to cheat today, and tipped the jig with some Fl. Pink Gulp! Alive! maggots. VERY FIRST cast was a nice LMB (for this pond), about 2 lbs. Caught a couple Bluegill, then tangled with a smaller LMB that spit the hook half-way through the fight. Managed to catch a few more 'gills before SWMBO sent me a text summoning me home.

Sorry I don't have any fish pics. Didn't think to bring the camera today.

Back