Pigs Feet

Hawnjigs

KISS
I can only make it when my white girl wife is away on a trip, which is now. Locan Hawn style we just boil em up for a coupla hours till the gooey white stuff can be gnawed off the bone. Turns out as a KISS soup - just salt, no spices except a bit of ginger & garlic. Traditional vegies in it are daikon(Japanese white turnips) and kobu(kelp). In fact, I'm enjoying some as I type.

Do you mainland folks do pigs feet too?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say i have ever eaten them, but it sounds good to me - i would give it a try if given the opportunity!

hhawkins

I eat jowl and fried pig skin, but I don't think I would be up for feet that has been walked through all kinds of stuff before being put on the plate. Thats like liver, you won't see it this house YUK!

toadfrog

My grandfather didn't let anything but the squeal get away. I can do feet and most things in between. But I can't go that hogs head cheese. Nope no way , especially if you have to help make it.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, I tried the bottled pickled stuff once - for about 2 seconds. Thats 1 second longer than local Hawaiian delicacy Ake(ah-kay) - raw liver - best I can describe it is a sponge soaked in swamp muck and used motor oil.

Pigs feet are a lot cleaner now that the meatcutters clip off the toe nails.

What is hogs head cheese?

hhawkins

Hawn....hogshead cheese a hogs head (minus the brains and eyeballs) stuck into a big pot and meat and everything bolied off the skull, then strained through cheese cloth, packed into a block form and chilled. Once cold you can slice chunks off just like you would cheese. Some people add liver or pigs feet or both. But that is what Hogshead Cheese is.

Hawnjigs

KISS
My Cathie scoops brains for hide tanning, & it don't look & smell too tasty. Same with eyeballs, tho I tried a few fishy ones. But head cheese doesn't sound too bad. Kinda like our fish head soup.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I'd do OK on brown rice, shoots, & various fermented soybean products. But, to keep the white gal happy, my policy is "you buy em I fry em" so a slab of local cow brisket goes into the smoker today.

If you couldn't keep the silkworms down, might have been the chocolate...Think I'd prefer them crispy fried with garlic & chili sauce.

Catfish from clean water is my fave head soup. Almost need a chisel to get the refrigerated leftovers out of a container. Whats your choice?

Tomorrow, we'll host some Utah visitors on a shoreline adventure, and maybe I'll get em to try opihi(limpet shells) Hawaiian style fresh raw off the rocks.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Here's what opihi look like:
http://www.google.com/search?q=opih...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Can be done, but locals don't grill em - the guts taste better raw.

Update: nope, didn't do opihi. The visitors were having too much fun snorkeling & swimmin in a natural hot pond, & enjoying more conservative local style picnic food like nori(seaweed) wrap sushi and warabi salad(fern shoots) for me to spring that on em.

Back