Patriotic Consumerism

Hawnjigs

KISS
There are alternatives to Chinese junk, here's an affordable niche.
http://forum.barkforum.com/t706-chinese-made-cfl-light-bulbs-a-fire-hazard

In our quest for cheap, we've empowered our consumer goods suppliers and their political lackeys to outsource most of our mfg. along with American jobs and PRIDE. So, I'm going to make an extra effort to support whats still MADE IN USA.

Please, post other suggestions.

Jig Man

Thanks for the post Hawn. I know we all try to save money, but in the long run it can cost you more. I do my best to support our builders...

Bucho

Hmmm... during my car´s obligatory checkup, I just learned that the engine of my beloved audi is in fact a licenced-build yamaha. Am I bothered? no, because the reason they license-build it is that its one of the finest pieces of engeneering you can get. When I want to manufacture a premium jig, and the best hook available is a product like, say, Matzuo, all I care about its producer´s origin is whether it is cheaper to get from Japan or the States.
If it takes an american company like the rabbit guy to dye me some proper japan-red fur(from spain!), so be it. If I can get a product like darklight fx to dye my own, or ask a german tanner to use it, guess what I´ll do?
All that being said - if this business I´m planning works out and one day I have to hire production capacity, I´ll by all means rather train a bunch of minimum wage hairdressers (still 10$/h here) than outsource to he other end of the world, for the sole reason of ensuring quality.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Very good points Bucho.......... quality does trump location/producer in my mind as well but i do try to go 'local' on as much service oriented stuff as i can. Always feel better talking face to face or else it takes a long time and some experimenting to figure out what will work for you. Never really paid much attention when buying light bulbs though. :exclamation:

For what it is worth....... I would much rather be driving an Audi than the Buick Century i am driving back and forth to work everyday. ;)

Bucho

Just one more thing about that car: I bought it from a local dealer who re-imported it from Norway - and has lost his audi-contract in the following. In VW`s marketing - mix, they underprice cars which are to be exported to high-tax-countries s.a. scandinavia, and at the same time overprice the same product in its domestic market. So, if you buy your car there and reduce the VAT, you save a hefty 20-25% of the retail price.

In other words: they screw with you for buying local.

I always prefer to buy from people I know and who´s standard of quality and reliability I know, but when it comes to business, I don´t let patriotism get the best of me, thats all I´m saying.

Fatman

I'm lucky in that we still have 2 fly shops within a short distance - when I go to the flea market on Sat or Sun I always make a quick stop!!LOL at the fly shop to see Bob and crew and see if he has any deals going. He always has a bargain bin with stuff he's tried and it didn't sell well so in that box it goes. He's usually good on hackle but after the craze - I bought most of mine online from Conranch Hackle and while some don't agree it's as good as any other brand out there!! Another good one is Collins Hackle in NY.

The other shop is right around the corner from work or if we go to the mall on a dreary Sat or Sun I'll walk across the street to it while the ladies are clothes shopping. Since he had to move to this location his prices have gone up - Just as an example - the wife bought me 3 packs of 20 eyes and 3 packs of Krystal flash and that stuff alone cost $21 - on the group buy I got thousands or eyes and 16 colors of Krystal flash for $28 so buying local doesn't always work on a tight budget.

I try really hard to buy local but when buying alot gotta go with on-line purchases - which is getting ready to get hit by Vermont as they're working hard with the ISP's to show buying so that they can charge you tax's!!!! It showed up on the tax return this year and I marked $0.

Back