Pasty or Pasties

jjsjigs

Banned
No! Not the kind you see at strip clubs! :D The kind that you eat!! That delicious concoction well known in the Michigan U.P. or in the anthracite region of PA. Other than that... the dish known as 'pasties' are pretty much unheard of elsewhere in the U.S. I LOVE pasties! Usually filled with garlic, ground pork, ground beef, chunked potatoes, and a variety of spices. Other ethnic regions have something similar but the Pee-Aye "Coalcracker" Anthracite Region or the Michigan U.P. "Yooper" Pasties' are the best!!

No, no... now don't fret you don't have to go to Wilkes-Barre, PA or Calumet, Michigan to get a Pasty or Pastie (spelled either way)

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjAuanBn-1.jpg
LOVE AT FIRST BITE!

The Pasty or Pasties' have a large following. It is known by other names due to ethnic regionalities:

Bedfordshire Clanger (my favorite name for them). Only called by that name in Bedfordshire or Buckinghamshire. Don't ask me why? I dunno.
Birdie or Forfare Birdie (named after the Scottish town of Forfare)
Calzone - My wife's favorite type of Pastie
Empanada - NO not the Taco Bell version. The good stuff from Hildago Mexico and was my favorite dish while stationed at Luke AFB
Haggan - the cheaper "dirtbagger" version made by the Cornish Miners in the U.K. It was dreadful. But cheap!!! That would be my lunch when I couldn't afford a pint and a rolled up newspaper full of fish and chips (aka The Limey Turnover as coined by personnel in the United States Air Forces - Europe)
Jamacian Patty - sans cannabis of course... I only found these while in Amsterdam.
Jaozoi - The Japanese version. It's thicker than a WonTon or Potsticky. I had a wonderful resturant on the MIsawa Air Base in Japan that would make these for me.
Panzarotti - The South New Jersey version of the Pasties. Found from Tuckerton, NJ to Cape May, NJ.
Pirozhki - What my family called the Pastie growing up.

As you can see... I'm a fan!!

Back