Palmer 552 mold help

StumpHunter

I was the proud winner of a piece of sh@#$^* mold on the-bay. Well it looks like someone tried to change this mold into a spinner mold. Are there anything I can do to make it usable, fill in the holes. Even where the hook eyes goes need work. Looks like the bottom is not closing tight either. Paper weight???

Attachments

• tied jigs 2012 008.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 008.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 109
  • tied jigs 2012 011.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 011.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 109
  • tied jigs 2012 012.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 012.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 109

SaltyBuckster

You could try to J.B. weld the bad spots,BUT,I would just use the good cavities and leave the rest alone.Not really worth doing a whole lot to it.

redman

Will agree with Bruce. Use the good cavities. I have the same mold and I have used it only a couple of time. Not my favorite by a long ways. They all must not fit quite right as mine doesn't ether. Looks like some one tried to turn it it to a pony head type jig. The only thing I can think of.

Redman

Shoemoo

They all look pretty borked to me. I'd open a complaint with eBay if the seller didn't disclose the damage and list it specifically as-is.

SaltyBuckster

Try it out.I never liked mine because of all the flash around the heads,especially compared to a Do It Mold.I just stick with Do Its for now on.

LedHed

Sponsor
Waaay too much work- you would still have to surface both sides and redo the hinge pin. That's not counting trying to salvage the cavities! Close the mold, tilt it so you are looking at the spru holes, and then hold it over a light. You shouldn’t see any light where the mold surfaces make contact. Where ever there is light you will have flashing when you pour.

You will rarely come across those types of molds that have been properly worked.

Hope you didn’t pay a lot…..

Beagler

I imagine the seller had the mold listed as used, with signs of wear but it was fully operational,
Get in contact with the seller, The seller might request that you send it back at your expense.
A good seller will refund your money and tell you to throw the mold away, {Sellers hate negative feedback}
If the seller won't work with you file a complaint with ebay, With a item not as described they'll takie the money out of the sellers account and return it to you.
Most sellers that sell them old molds don't know a darn thing about them, they pick them up at estate sales,
you can also file a complaint with paypal. But ebay owns paypal so one is as good as the other,

StumpHunter

I have already made a complaint as not as described. For the $15 I have in it I'm not spending any more time with it. From looking through it at a light it would not hold any lead in the jigheads. There isn't any of the cavities that would work. Thanks for looking. When I buy again they will be new molds or from someone I know.

toadfrog

None of those old molds work very well . Those kind were made for low end sales . There are machined models that worked well but are hard to find and expensive .

LedHed

Sponsor
SH - don't give up on eBay, just be a more careful. There are some deals out there.. I still run across Ament molds and some Hilt's molds. PAs (Paul Ament) are like getting a custom made mold.

StumpHunter

I reworked the mold. Took it apart and used the bakeable craft clay Scott told us about. One cavity I fill in as it was to for gone. The other four I filled in the voids and got them where they will hold the hooks again. Re-drilled and replaced the pin with a 1/4'' rod. Here are a few pics of the work on the mold and a pic of the finished jigs. These heads I plan to use next winter while fishing deep so they don't have to be perfect. At least the mold is now usable :icon14:

Attachments

• tied jigs 2012 060.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 060.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 27
  • tied jigs 2012 062.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 062.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 26
  • tied jigs 2012 068.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 068.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 27
  • tied jigs 2012 070.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 070.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 27
  • tied jigs 2012 074.jpg
    tied jigs 2012 074.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 27

Fatman

Stump

What's the weight on those and what size hooks are you using??? Actually not a bad looking head and you did some great re-work on that mold!!!!!! You might have a great trade jig there!!!

StumpHunter

Fatman said:
Stump

What's the weight on those and what size hooks are you using??? Actually not a bad looking head and you did some great re-work on that mold!!!!!! You might have a great trade jig there!!!

Every one of them weigh 0.09 oz. LOL it started at an 1/8 oz mold and they still are an 1/8 oz jig even with out the collar. Guess it's where the added clay to close off the mold makes up the weight.

Back