Painting spoons & blades

JUNGLEJIM1

I bought some brass spoons cheap awhile back and was curious how they would look with the new glitters called Liquid Diamonds that I've been working with.The two main colors that I've been working with are Chameleon Sparkle and Galaxy so far. I've been mixing it with about 90% clear with a little UV blast and the liquid diamonds glitter. These are some of the spoons that I've painted. these spoons weigh 1/20 and 1/16 oz and are 1.25 inches long. I really haven't used spoons much since the 70's and need some input on how I should rig them like split rings front and back with a single or treble hook, dressed or plain, etc. My picture taking isn't the greatest and they look better in person.  The last picture blade has a white base coat and galaxy over it.     View attachment 1View attachment 2View attachment 3View attachment 4View attachment 5

Attachments

• IMG_5276.JPG
    IMG_5276.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5277.JPG
    IMG_5277.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5279.JPG
    IMG_5279.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5281.JPG
    IMG_5281.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 145

Bucho

Nice! I like that sage chamelion in particular. I suppose youre after rainbows? I bought vmc spinner hooks for similar purpose. Very sharp, light wire and a large eye for split ring. Wonderful hook.

AllenOK

I started using small spoons in deep water for suspended Bluegills this year. Split rings fore and aft, small swivel on the front split ring, and a single hook with an eye large enough for the ring, but a small enough hook that gill's don't have a problem with it. Tipped with Gulp!

If I remember right, I went with the smallest split ring I have for the rear, and a size 14 dry fly hook for the hook on the spoon. The eye is just big enough to fit, right where the ends of the split ring are. I need to invest in some Orvis hooks that have a bigger eye.

JUNGLEJIM1

Going to try them on trout but also crappies and possibly bass. Tried them earlier with just split rings front and back but couldn't get the wobble I was wanting. I had a single hook tied wooly bugger style. Perhaps the swivel in front will help with that.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
All those colors look really good..... but that chameleon looks like a great natural color. Very cool.

Jig Man

Split ring front and back, treble hook dressed with white bucktail and red thread.... Thank me later!

GrouseFly

I got a deal on a sack load of small spoons a few weeks ago. Mine are brass too...and boy does this give me some ideas on what to do with them. If I was smart I would ship 2/3 of the to Jim to paint like a pro and I could ruin the rest....lol..Jim IF you need anymore to play with just holler. I have PLENTY!!!!!

LedHed

Sponsor
Awesome paint job

Snap in the front - split ring in the back with a single hook (point on the concave side). I would try both dressed and naked....

Don't like the way split rings tear up the paint.

JUNGLEJIM1

I paint my blades by holding them with hemostats and dipping, reheating and dipping again. There is always that little spot where hemostats held a blade or spoon that's unpainted but it makes split rings slide on easier for me. I use galaxy, nebula and chameleon as an overcoat at the very end.

Back