Painting some of Plateboater's Pillheads

AllenOK

Several hours before my appendix decided to start being a pain, I had some ideas for some jigs. I wanted to do some of the Olive Wooly Buggers I had tied up as a jig. I also had an idea for another color scheme from a coworker that likes "pink camo splarkly" jigs.

Here's the Olive jigheads. My camera did a good job on focusing in on a jighead, and even separated out the yellow and black instead of blurring it into a dark olive color. Believe me, these heads look better in hand than in this pic. These are done on Plateboater's 1/16 pillheads.

Now, the pink camo jigs are going to be interesting. I've been reading a lot of the old threads on the Paintshop sub-forum, paying close attention to Attica's posts about how he does his multi-color glitter heads. I tried to follow his method as best I could. I did a dip into white pearl PP, reheated the jig a bit, tapped on some Fluorescent Pink PP, reheated again, then tapped on a mix of 200% Clear with some pink, black, and holographic white glitter.

View attachment 1

I did 1/2 part of pink glitter, 1/4 part black glitter, and 1/4 part white holo glitter. Then, I mixed in 5 parts 200% Clear PP. Honestly, I think the black needs to be even less, and probably equal parts pink and white holo glitter. I'll make some notes for next time. I do like the looks of the finished heads.

Once I get the prototypes tied up, I'll get some pics posted, probably later today. The pink camo jigs are going to be an off-shoot of a Wooly Bugger jig, probably a mix of pink/white marabou tail, some flash of some kind, pink chenille, and grey schlappen or saddle hackle palmered up the body, counter-wrapped with black wire.

Attachments

• 20150803OlivePillheads.JPG
    20150803OlivePillheads.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20150803PinkWhiteGlitterPillheads.JPG
    20150803PinkWhiteGlitterPillheads.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 87

JUNGLEJIM1

Nice paint jobs. What size heads are these? I have a few sizes of pill head molds with recessed eyes that I can pour with or without crane swivels if I want to add blades.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The paint jobs look great. The glitters are hard to get a good mix that taps off the brush evenly. I still adjust my amounts of glitter to clear from time to time. Think it has more to do with the tapping technique than the mix though. Some days simply have more patience than others. Glad to help someone get the paint how they want. Then comes the cure........ that i am anal about also. haha.

Have to say, outstanding pics too.

Pepop

AllenOK said:
Several hours before my appendix decided to start being a pain, I had some ideas for some jigs. I wanted to do some of the Olive Wooly Buggers I had tied up as a jig. I also had an idea for another color scheme from a coworker that likes "pink camo splarkly" jigs.

Here's the Olive jigheads. My camera did a good job on focusing in on a jighead, and even separated out the yellow and black instead of blurring it into a dark olive color. Believe me, these heads look better in hand than in this pic. These are done on Plateboater's 1/16 pillheads.

Now, the pink camo jigs are going to be interesting. I've been reading a lot of the old threads on the Paintshop sub-forum, paying close attention to Attica's posts about how he does his multi-color glitter heads. I tried to follow his method as best I could. I did a dip into white pearl PP, reheated the jig a bit, tapped on some Fluorescent Pink PP, reheated again, then tapped on a mix of 200% Clear with some pink, black, and holographic white glitter.

I did 1/2 part of pink glitter, 1/4 part black glitter, and 1/4 part white holo glitter. Then, I mixed in 5 parts 200% Clear PP. Honestly, I think the black needs to be even less, and probably equal parts pink and white holo glitter. I'll make some notes for next time. I do like the looks of the finished heads.

Once I get the prototypes tied up, I'll get some pics posted, probably later today. The pink camo jigs are going to be an off-shoot of a Wooly Bugger jig, probably a mix of pink/white marabou tail, some flash of some kind, pink chenille, and grey schlappen or saddle hackle palmered up the body, counter-wrapped with black wire.

Sounds (Looks) like the perfect method! Both are EXCELLENT!

AllenOK

AF, I even did your "slow heat up" on the pink/white/glitter heads. Started at 170 for a few minutes, up to 200 until the oven clicked, gave it a couple more minutes, up to 250 until it clicked, gave it a couple of minutes, then up to 300 until it clicked, then 20 minutes for a final cure. No dripping!

Back