Painting Eyes Over Powder Paint

SaltyBuckster

I have a couple of big saltwater Popeye Jigs painted and tyied.I powder painted them chartruse green.I want to paint the eyes with a brush.What's a good brand that will stay good in saltwater?

Attachments

• DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 101

Jig Man

Dang Az. lots of lookers, but no advice. Wish I could help more, but I haven't tied much. My next experiment will be with paint pens... If that doesn't work I'll graduate to the stick on style...Sorry I couldn't help!

upnort16

I use acrylic or enamel paints bought in the hobby shop for eyes all the time. I do however use a lot of realistic stick-ons (not feasable maybe) on these particular jigs, but all of them get the top coat/clear coat treatment. I have read fingernail polish of your flavor and the vinyl lure paints work well, I personally have not tried them though.

Radtexan

I do the same as upnort,and cover in sally's hard as nails,,,just never tried them in the Salt..

Pup

Clamp a jig into your vise and turn it so that it lies horizontally. Find a set of drill bits or a couple of finishing nails and size up their diameters to the size of your jig eye. Dip a chosen bit or nail into some craft acrylic paint and dot your eyes. Let them dry for at least 1 hour.

Next, obtain a 25 ml syringe of Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy (D2T). Your jigs are large, so mix a line of both resin and hardener inside the bottom of an empty soft drink can. It's perfect for this use since its base is concave. Just flip the can over and squeeze out the line from edge to edge. Mix thoroughly with the tube's mixing stick. Do it slowly to keep the amount of air bubbles to a minimum.

Brush the epoxy mix onto your jig with a cheap Nylon kid's paint brush from a craft store. Rotate your jig in the vise as you brush. The epoxy will self level and you'll be able to brush away any obvious air bubbles. Working time is around 10-15 minutes until the epoxy begins to set up. Keep rotating the jig during this time to prevent any epoxy from sagging. Remove the jig from the vise after 1-2 hours and hang it for at least 6 more.

D2T is durable. I've cast jigs coated with it at bridge abutments with impunity and, although D2T scuffs, it takes a repeated pounding effort to shred or crack the finish.

SaltyBuckster

Thanks Pup.I'm going to get some stuff together and do them up.By the time I get everything I'll be painting eyes for days,lol.

Back