Painting Eyes on Jigs

Mepperson

I just recently added jig head powder painting to my hobby of tying jigs and I guess the next logical step is painting eyes. Anyone have any pointers about making eyes. I like the white eyeball and black pupil for the darker heads, how do you guys do it?

JUNGLEJIM1

I use vinyl paint for my eyes.Some use round drill bits in assorted sizes to dot their eyes. I use assorted nail heads that I tap into six inch lengths of 1/4 inch dowel rod. I shske my jar of paint,unscrew and dip into paint in the cap. Use bigger head for white and smaller size for the black.

CK3

I use acrylic paint for eyes. I used to use nail heads but have switched
to drill bits as they make a neater eye. If you use drill bits be sure they have a flat bottom, some have a round bottom. I basically use three sizes,1/16, 3/16. 5/16 . I drill the bit into a dowel and use the bottom of the bit. The paint I use is called short shots by Krylon. It comes in a small jar, 1 oz I think and is very handy.

crappiecripplerjigs

Same as above here too. I don't use drill bits anymore, but different size finish nails driven part way into wine corks. The larger size grip seems to work for me. I've used acrylic paints, model paints, etc...

Jiggin Joe

I to use acrylic paint (craft Paint) but I use a tooth pic and cut it to wide part for the back color and take off just the tip for the pupil.

JJ

snake River

when I am making eyes are used vinyl paint we either use a drill bit or a Christmas ball like the twinkle lite .you want to make sure that you do not bottom out when you are pinging is you just want to barely touch and poll back off. We put vinyl eyes on all our power painted jig heads.make sure that you keyring your power paint before putting vinyl eyes on or else your eyeballs will melt. My favorite eyeball color is flame red with a Black dot in the center. We do not use clear coat you can use vinyl clear coat paint but it will burn your power paint it may run a little bit but usually will not hurt the fact or the look of your jig.

ragged edge

Sloedown has it down to a tee. Use a small diameter object(toothpick or paint brush handle) dab a small amount in nail polish and let the paint touch the head, don't let the object touch the head, the paint will spread out in a small round circle. Then cover with SH clear when it dries.

sloedown

I use hard as nails finger nail polish for the eyes and then coat them with Revlon #950 extra life no chip top coat..It looks better and is more durable then the hard as nails clear coat..JMO and I have used both...The biggest trick to me is when you put the eyes on,is to let them dry for at least an hour between coats...Again this is JMO....... If you want holograph eyes then mix some glitter in your clear coat..

Back