Paint Questions

HairyMooseKnuckles

Went to Harbor Freight last night. I picked up Red and White.

1. Where would be a good place to find some clear powder locally? I'm close to DFW.

2. Once opened, can you store it in the original container or do I need to come up with something better? we keep the house pretty cool.

3. I've read about you guys adding glitter to clear, does it work when you add glitter to paint?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
- Not sure where you can get the clear, but Radtexan got some from a brick & mortar shop near him a while back and can't seem to remember the name of the store. I've got a card at home...... and there is a thread on here somewhere about the group buy he did.

- What kind of container does it come in? Keep it away from heat (don't store in your car, haha) and keep it away from moisture. Keep mine in my basement, mainly in plastic Uline jars with screw lids, but i leave them sit out at times with the lids off. Never had a problem. I also bought some small tupperware type containers that i use as well. They hold maybe a measuring cup worth of powder.

- If you add glitter to a regular opaque paint, what happens is the paint covers the majority of the glitter. The only glitter that will show up is what gets stuck on the outside of the paint. The clear powder (and even transparent or candy colors) act as a carrier for the glitter and allow the glitter to be seen when it is sealed inside the clear paint.

Kdog

I store all my excess PP in plastic bags, sealed with a rubber band. They are stored in a plastic storage box under my workbench in the basement. Never had a problem. After powder is mixed it is stored in one of my fluid bed cups and stored on a shelf bottom gas my filter and top has a knock out test cap. never have a problem with the storage, just a quick shake and ready to go. Powder paint with settle when it sets for a long time.

As far as finding clear powder locally, you may want to check phone book for local powder coating companies and call, maybe they would sell you a couple pounds but IMO unless you know someone, they probably will not. Also. some paint and body shops use PC so lots of leg work. And Sherwin Williams has PC but usually its a special order.

I hate to say it, but Roseys is probably your best best, order today and 2-3 days it magically appears in your mailbox.

Pup

HairyMooseKnuckles said:
Went to Harbor Freight last night. I picked up Red and White.

2. Once opened, can you store it in the original container or do I need to come up with something better? we keep the house pretty cool.

3. I've read about you guys adding glitter to clear, does it work when you add glitter to paint?

I can definitively answer #2. Leave it in its original container and only store only as much as you think you'll mix and dip in other, smaller containers. I purchased all four available HF colors maybe 4 years ago and they're just as good now as they were when first used.

Question 3 - it does not work well for me. I prefer to mix glitter with clear and then apply as a topcoat. Dipping a glitter topcoat works well enough for me, although many find it better to tap it on with a brush. We have many excellent painters here, as I'm sure you've seen.

AtticaFish said:
- Not sure where you can get the clear, but Radtexan got some from a brick & mortar shop near him a while back and can't seem to remember the name of the store. I've got a card at home...... and there is a thread on here somewhere about the group buy he did.

Believe I was involved in that group buy as well. Orbit Industries of Lubbock, TX. See http://www.orbittx.com/.

hookup

Harbor Freight has powder paint?

Have to go investigate ... luv that store.

The powder coating place in Stephenville sold several of us all different paints for about a $1 an ounce. Bring your own containers and they let me go in the back with them and pick what I wanted. I got three vein paints, and four candy paints 2oz. of each. I also got a pound of clear although it isn't the 200% gloss it does work well for me. As for the glitter like others have said it works good in candy colors and clear. As for storage I use cups with screw lids and a ziplock bag for the clear.

HairyMooseKnuckles

Outlawelectric said:
The powder coating place in Stephenville sold several of us all different paints for about a $1 an ounce. Bring your own containers and they let me go in the back with them and pick what I wanted. I got three vein paints, and four candy paints 2oz. of each. I also got a pound of clear although it isn't the 200% gloss it does work well for me. As for the glitter like others have said it works good in candy colors and clear. As for storage I use cups with screw lids and a ziplock bag for the clear.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll see what I can do with the Red and White.
Stephenville is just a few minutes away from me too.

Fatman

Orbit is in Lubback, TX

From what I've heard from everyone who uses the HF powder they mix a bunch of clear to help it flow better.

You can add glitter to your paint but you'll have to mix clear in with it to get it to show right. Their are some good threads by Attica as far as powder color, glitter and clear mix to have it come out. Had to play with it a lot to get it right.

I keep mine stored in the containers in comes in and in a cool place. Any mix''s go in 3 oz clear poly jars with lids from Uline.

debrartin

Banned
HairyMooseKnuckles said:
1. Where would be a good place to find some clear powder locally? I'm close to DFW.

I think arts supply store will be better for clear powder paint. You can try that website.
There have a wide range of good power paint

xctmp5hKyBM.jpg

Back