ONE MORE PROTO TYPE

toadfrog

OK here is one more proto type until after new years . 3 oz straight up finished weight . Tied fly on a 6/0 circle hook . Jsc suggested more wraps on the eye did that . Home made clevice . Hand painted as usual . Some of you salt water guys help me out and cretique this stuff for me . I'm taking notes . Probably never see the fish one of these will catch .

Attachments

• B 3.0.jpg
    B 3.0.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 63

SaltyBuckster

That will catchem for sure.I should have sent you some big clevises with that stuff.I have a few giant ones.What else do you need?I have'nt seen any of them spinnerbait fish bodies that I took off the wire yet,lol.

JSC

Bet the Musky guys would like to have one of them

Now that clevis is something else ... no reason it should not work great ... got me talking to myself on that one.

toadfrog

View attachment 4Yes sir that is a home made clevis . Sap Sucker works too . I get the right stuff and I'll disassemble them and put the real stuff on . I'm glad you guys like it . Whether it amazes you , terrifies you or down right makes you laugh your tail off . It is my aim to get some kind of reaction . By the way Bruce here is a pick of the fish heads .

Attachments

• spinner Dec 18.jpg
    spinner Dec 18.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 49

SaltyBuckster

Looks great.Will catch fish for sure.You don't know how many times I burnt my fingers trying to get the wire out of them things,lol.

blt

The one on top, are you sure that spinner will clear the body when in action? Maybe another bead between body and spinner. Great work though, you have my brain churning. I'm trying to track down a guy I know that has a slip sinker mold I could use.

Really nice, creative ideas there!

toadfrog

Blt If it were a willow blade I would be concerned . But Colorado and these type of blades move out to the bend in the clevise . Pretty much stays there . They do need several improvements that may well be one of them in the end .

blt

Toad, you really have me going on these, I love 'em. Make them with some larger hooks and the tuna guys would probably love them also.
I could see trolling these for stripers no problem at all!

toadfrog

I sure could use one or those giant spinner bait heads to make me a mold . I'd like to do one of those next . That would complete the line up and I could actually begin to seriously do a couple in the right way . Do the salt water guys have a specific brand of hook, blade ect. they like.

blt

It all depends on what you are going after, and then some like different hooks, from different manufacturers. It's a crap shoot lol. It also depends on where you are at. Up in NY area, Smilin Bills sell really well, where I go in De., I couldn't sell them to ANY shop I went to. It's a pop-eye jigs area, and slowly turning into an Ultra Minnow head area also. I am the only "local" guy that ties ultra minnow heads, and makes the shad heads that they love for Flounder with no hair on them.

Some would love a treble hook on them.

bombora

Could see a big mahi mahi eating that for sure. ONe thing, have you used circle hooks on lures before? Wonder if the non-strike strike needed for circles would be difficult in the heat of a smashing hit on the lure?

toadfrog

bombora said:
Could see a big mahi mahi eating that for sure. ONe thing, have you used circle hooks on lures before? Wonder if the non-strike strike needed for circles would be difficult in the heat of a smashing hit on the lure?
I have no idea . I've never even been on the ocean . In the air but not on water . Only time I see some of those fish is on tv or online . What is the general weight of the big fish , gives me a clue to the size of hard wear I need .

bombora

Hey toad the theory behind circles is that you don't strike the fish. They are almost exclusively used for fishing baits. They were invented by Japanese longliners.
You let the fish scoff down the bait, then flip over the bail arm or engage the gears, but you don't lift the rod and strike hard. You wait for the line to come tight, and the hook, because of the bent in point, doesn't find a hook hold in throat or gut or where-ever, and slides to the corner of the jaw. As the tight line draws the hook past the corner of the jaw that weird bent in hook point finds a hold. You then give a solid strike with the rod, but only then. Best, most solid hook sets, which rarely if ever come out. They do work with flies because there's no lure weight, but on lures can be hard to get that pause as the hook slides into the corner of the jaw.
Tell ya though your lure would kill our Murray Cod (freshwater fish, grow to 100 pounds plus, eat ducks for breakfast) in our outback rivers!!!!

toadfrog

blt If you are the only local guy doing shad heads and ultra minnows better stay on top of it . because It won't be long before there are twenty guys doing it .
Fatman I get news letters from Worth and Stamina every month those double clevis are one of the new products EXPENSIVE ! Got new blades out too .
bombora I talked to one of my guys about the circle hooks . He uses them rigged like a musky lure trolling live bait . He said about the only difference he could tell in the hook up was , the hook seemed to find the corner of the mouth more often .
salty started this just for grins and giggles . Posted on an obscure little fishing site I belong too . Dang if I ain't been getting email . Turns out seems to be a niche in the market for some of the stuff I dreamed up . You guys need to look into it if you fish salt water cause I only do these experiments for members . When I'm done that will be it for me .

Back