Nylon Fish Stringer

arnesr

I was shopping for a new fish stringer recently and wanted to purchase another nylon clip version.  I was quite pleased with Sampo brand one I had previously.  I really like the light weight, quiet design.  Anyway, I looked around and could not find one locally.  There are a few online retailers that sell one for $11 plus shipping, which was probably 3 times what I paid for the last one, back in the 90's.  I was about to purchase a couple when I stumbled upon a seller on the bay from Estonia selling a nearly identical stringer.  I was skeptical, but decided to give it a shot.  I ordered the 10 pack, which came to $37.00 with shipping.  After only two weeks my package arrived at my home in WI (surprising as the shipping was quoted at 2-2.5 months).  After opening one of the packages and inspecting, I must say I am impressed.  They appear almost identical to the Sampo brand I had previously.  The nylon clips lock securely and are tough and not brittle.  There are only 6 clips to each stringer, compared with 8 on the Sampo, but that is fine with me as I generally would not keep that many fish anyway. The rope portion of the stinger is thin, but adequate and easily replaceable if one so desires.  Price wise, mine stringer cost me $3.70 ea., compared with the $11 + S&H. for the Sampo.  The seller also currently lists a package of 40 for $100, plush shipping or 100 for $230 with free shipping. 

I thought I would post this here in case someone else uses these types of stringers and wants to save a few bucks.  I have no affiliation with the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-stringer-fishing-lock-Lot-of-10-pcs/282331289839

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, thanks for the info. I have seen some similar to those. How big is the portion that hooks on the fish? Is it small enough diameter that they could be used for bluegill? I have currently have a nylon rope with metal clips and have always hated using it off my kayak.

arnesr

I believe it would be too big for bluegill. These stringers work well for bass, northern and walleyes. I don't have it in front of me, but the clip must be 2-3 inches, oval shaped.

Perhaps you catch larger bluegill than I do, but I have never put a bluegill on a stringer. I usually toss them in a 5 gallon bucket or one of those wire panfish baskets that hang over the side of the boat.

You could perhaps run it through the gills to attach them, though with larger species I usually poke through the lower jaw to keep the fish alive/fresh longer.

Back