Nice Brown

Bucho

little over 25", fish of the year so far :cool: Migrating browns are notorious tailbiters so I fixed myself some inline ultra minnows with a size 4 octopus sickle loop. Spectacular fight on light tackle.

23215955cn.jpg

23215956dl.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Did it jump?

Your brownies look more muscular than the ones I've gotten. In fact, some of the bigger ones come in without a fuss, maybe they've been C&R so many times by the time they're 2 footers they know the hook will be removed if they give up?

Nice shiny head - tin?

Bucho

HJ, it did jump but not as many times as rainbows do. The sheer mass however was quite respectable. They find a lot of food in the sea and grow much faster than trout in a stream. Once they reach up to 20" or so they completely switch over to fish diet and grow real fast. C&R of legal sized fish is not much of an issue here in the middle of excessive net fishing. In fact its illegal in Germany to torture or even hassle fish at all if you don´t have any intention to eat them, but lets not go there.

Pure tin has indeed dropped in price recently and I make more and more use of it. Slip jigs similar to that have proven very successful in streams where the rocks and gravel soon destroy any powderpaint, so I`ve gotten to like the idea of a solid silvery underside.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, illegal to NOT keep fish one catches? Man, there wouldn't be much left for anyone out here in the limited confines inlets/outlets of larger bodies of water I prefer if everyone kept their catches. Yesterday, a bait fisherman kept bucketing wipers out of my favorite current seam micro hold and after a quick half dozen or so it appeared there was nothing left.

Proper C&R doesn't seem to damage released fish much - single smallest possible minimal barb hooks & keeping fish in water while de-hooking with proper forceps minimize trauma. Big walleye are a bit spooky, but it's possible to lip most any species using a glove when necessary, which I always carry in a pocket anyway for breaking braid snags.

I find a silvery overside jig head attractive as well.

Bucho

Well, Germans are very categorical people. If you ask one on the street, 99% will say its ok to go fishing and catch one´s own food, but at the same time the idea of torturing fish "just for the fun of it" is generally being frowned upon. In my state, there´s a lot of large bodies of water, not too many anglers and C&R has never been much of an issue. It allows me to release as many fish as I wnat to as long as I have a general interest in harvesting a fish here and there (or cannot be proven other :D), which I am very happy about.

In other, inland states with a much higher concentration of anglers, C&R is of course necessary to keep an attractive fishing running. That again has triggered authorities to follow most citizens will forbidding such "excessive" angling, splitting the angling nation into the fishing club´s widespread anticipatory obedience forbidding any release while only categorical C&R is against state rule on the one side and many C&R practintioners who go underground and develop a very snobby own ethic on the other. It´s an unexpiring source of dispute, filling endless board threads.

Back