NEWBIE question about Slab spoon pourin'

Jettywolf

Alrighty, got my Lee's bottom pour machine coming (since I found out I can't hand pour the Do-it Slab jig mold)

Got me all the right wire forms 5/8ths, 1-1/8th, 1-1/3ths......

BUT, here's my question for the PRO'S:

Really?
Do ya have to use those forms from Do-It take make these slab jigs?
Is there an easier way, a trick O' the trade?
Some where to get forms like these cheaper?

They are mighty delicate, and thin. I haven't even really went into production yet and I'm sort of dreading this already.

(ANYONE, who can supply me with these with "no hooks", and chrome plated, for around $1.50 or less, or in that ball park.....I'll send ya all I have, the mold, and all the forms as a good will gesture as down payment for some BULK slabs, chromed.)

Chrome plated isn't mandatory. Raw is fine...I know Chromed is just a nice day dream. Since I can't do it myself. I'll use tape.

I jus' like chrome for all saltwater fishing. :bigfish:

-Jettywolf in Jacksonville
captdaves.com

JUNGLEJIM1

I'd give it a shot first, might be easier than you think. Candle the mold before pouring or get a can of Drop out and spray the mold with that. Which Do it spoon mold is it? They make quite a few. I think I know which one from the sizes you mentioned.

Fatman

You could check with Mustang wire they have them by the 1000 but you'd have to call for the exact cost.

http://www.mustangwire.com/pricing.htm

once you get to this link click on .pdf and it will bring it up. You can get whatever wire diameter you want but you'd have to make sure the wire will fit in the mold - you could check this with Do-It.

Jettywolf

Thanks for all the replies fellas......yeah maybe I ought to give it a go first.

Thanks guys, who sent me immediate proposals. I'll get back with you too.

Bucho, now ya have me interested in that small knife shaped jigging mold too!

I'm not using the slab spoons as much as a lure than a "bait presenter" or an "attention getter", for Redfish to Trout. I deep fast current where I fish.

Bucho

The Flutter Jig is a great lure but very sensitive to heavy or dressed hooks and the like. You might wanna try the diamond jig instead. It looks terrible but it casts far, gets down quick and -if you mod your mold to accept a swivel- rotates and breaks to the sides on a calm retrieve.

JUNGLEJIM1

With some molds I put the spout inside the cavity and open it up. Once it fills to the spout it stops flowing, usually. This works better in some molds than others. Be careful when you do this and I won't do it unless nothing else works.

Streetwalker

I cast a lot of slabs. I found that the Lee 20 lb pot pours the big slabs MUCH better than the 10 lb pot. Little bigger orifice and more lead for pressure.

I buy my forms from Zeiner's. That or from my buddy who owns a commercial tackle business.

Back