Newbie paint reccomendation

flymoron

I was looking for an easy to use (dip?) paint that the kids and I could use on jig heads, is there some kind that you don't have to heat up?

thanks

flymoron

CrappieHappy

I would go with Powder Paint, but you have to heat the jig head. The heating of the jighead can be done with a alcohol burner, or a heat gun, hold the jighead by the eye with hemostats, heat, dip in powder paint, then cure... The other route is VINYL, but would not feel comfy with it around the kids as it's fumes are nasty.....

LedHed

Sponsor
For the small stuff FP is great. I use the powder for 1/8 oz and bigger. Do powder paint small stuff also - down to 1/100th.

SaltyBuckster

You would be able to get a lot of things into thier heads while powder painting.Like what they have to do to be safe,with a candle around.Use a candle to heat up the jigs.They'll be amazed.I'm sure a couple will get melted,lol.But that's the fun of it with kids.Trying to get that Perfect One.Make sure you teach them that a clean hook eye is a perfect one.I have fouind that a 6 second heat with the jig being turned over and around will take the powder,get them counting also_Once they get to counting out loud,a little contest between them makes some cool looking jigs.Thier imagination is a lot keener then us older folks,lol.

flymoron

Thanks everyone, this is all great info and I really appreciate it. I can see a family project in our future.

flymoron

CrappieHappy

you can pickup some powder paint from harbor freight tools for about 5 bucks a lb. you could start with 1 or 2 colors to see if that is something you want to pursue, without being out of alot of $ upfront....

redman

This is a second post on here to make a inexpensive alcohol lamp. Take a 4 oz pimentos jar. Find a piece of COTTON rope. drill a hole in the top of the jar lid smaller than the rope. Feed the rope thur the jar lid hole, fill the jar 1/4 full of 91% alcohol let the wick( rope ) become wet and light it with a match. Regulate the flame with the length of the wick. Cost next to nothing. Have used this method for seven months with no problems. A pint of alcohol will last along time. Have painted 700 jig heads with about 8 oz. of Alcohol.

Redman

Back