New Work Desk

baitmaster

A while back mealworm came across a few metal shop desks at a jobsite. I snagged 2 of them to build a large tying bench in my garage. The legs got replaced with 1-1/2" square tubes and I increased the height of the desk to stool height. My original plan was for a 42" tall desk to accomodate my 6'-4" tall self. But I soon learned that 42" was way too tall, even for me. The desk got cut down to 38" and is perfect (this 4" change was made with 2 seperate 2" cuts, I am never happy with good enough). After bolting the file cabinets together for storage and combining the 2 tops, I now have a 36" deep x 100" wide desk dedicated to tying with lots of storage. I still have 1 of the file cabinets saved for some over the top storage and a shelf for my powder coat oven.
Here it is during first assembley
View attachment 9
Here is the second cut down of the legs. Notice the levelers installed, what a job to get them back out.

Here it is in all its glory. Sporting a fresh coat of Rustoleum Gloss Black
View attachment 1
Sorry the images are in pdf. My jpg versions of the files would not load for some reason.

Attachments

• First build.pdf
    232.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Opps.pdf
    422.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Final.pdf
    280 KB · Views: 60

StumpHunter

That looks like a great work bench. I can't see the last pic but from what I did see you will have a good work area with storage. Nice!

JUNGLEJIM1

Really nice work,lot more room than I have to work with. I would have taken the easy way and got an adjustable chair. Of course I'm lazy about some things.

baitmaster

Thanks everyone. Now if I can just find some more time to tie. This weekend my wife convinced me to remodel the bathroom. She has been working on convincing me for almost 2 years, I finally caved.

Nice work, recycled is the best sometimes. You get to fix it they way you want and not some designer in an office. Mine is an old computer desk on wheels. I keep it in the man cave most of the time but I can roll it out to the tv room for big screen entertainment while tying.
Tying%20Table.JPG

baitmaster

Fish Candy,
I love the idea of entertainment, I think I might install a TV in the Man Cave now.
Scott,
I used to bring a spare table in the dining room. Bring out all the supplies, lights, vise, and so on. Then at night when I was finished, clean it all up. There was always a spare feather or two flying around the house. It worked well, but it was alot of extra work. Since the material for this was all free, I figured it was a great score.
My wife is very happy that the only only feathers left in the house are the three Peacock tails that she has on display. If she only knew that I was eyeing the tails for a few upcoming jigs.

LRB

[/i]I made my workbench from 2x12x8's...and used cinderblocks for supports...believe me , it is stout !!:)
Plus I did some dumpster diving and came up with a dental chair that only was missing some casters...

ML~~

Attachments

• 100_4050.JPG
    100_4050.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_4052.JPG
    100_4052.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 29

baitmaster

LRB,
Nery nice. I would not have gone to the extreme, but most of the material was gifted to me.

LRB

baitmaster said:
LRB,
Nery nice. I would not have gone to the extreme, but most of the material was gifted to me.

I not only use my workbench for tying jigs..but also for rodbuilding...so I built it for dual purpose..
There is nothing like gifted material !!..:icon14:

ML

Back