New way of attaching eyes

Kdog

I've been experimenting with applying eyes directly to warm soft powdercoat before curing. Still a learning curve and some eyes work and some dont. Ive also clear powder coated over eyes and it works. Flat paper eyes work really well some 3d eyes discolor and some the pupils distort.

Some eyes will not stand up to the cure cycle and discolor but all eyes to date are really stuck, I figure after a few more rounds, I'll post some jigs and my findings on how to make it work.

jackie53

Kdog said:
I've been experimenting with applying eyes directly to warm soft powdercoat before curing. Still a learning curve and some eyes work and some dont. Ive also clear powder coated over eyes and it works. Flat paper eyes work really well some 3d eyes discolor and some the pupils distort.

Some eyes will not stand up to the cure cycle and discolor but all eyes to date are really stuck, I figure after a few more rounds, I'll post some jigs and my findings on how to make it work.

We just add a touch of harder than nails let dry when tacky to touch add eyes 3D.

Attachments

• 1216140800-01.jpg
    1216140800-01.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 184

Bucko

I've been sticking eyes to my jigs while paint is soft and curing them all together for couple years now. Only color that don't work for is chartreuse jigs. The color bleeds while curing. I tried doing this on some big walleyes jigs using 7mm eyes and it doesn't work. Eyes are too heavy and slide off.

JSC

(for some reason I posted to this thread and it did not take ??)
I have been using this method for some time .. Most are with a WTP Flat Stick On Eye size 2EY (1/8")
I stick them on after all the initial painting is completed and have not found any difference in how they stay wither warm or cold.
The eyes are the last thing before curing them .. I am running at least a 95% + on having them NOT to come off after hard fishing .. Epoxy coat over the whole works is a good way to seal but .... for my own use I go with out it and have some spinner baits that have caught a lot of fish with no trouble with the eyes and they have really been beat around a lot.

:)

Arkansasbowhunter

I am gonna try a dab of super glue gel on my eyes first. I have had some issues with them coming off. On my last batch I clear vinyl coated over them but haven't got to fish them as the water is high and muddy

Radtexan

Super glue will stick em, but I've never been good enough to do it without getting some on the eye. It will leave a cloudy mess.

At least for me I'm sticking with a dab of Sally's under, and a decent top coat after. Hasn't failed me yet.

Dan

Do most guys stick eyes on before or after heat curing?

LedHed

Sponsor
Really interesting post!
Bucko - are you using Sam's eyes?
Dan - I put eyes on after curing and usually add 2 or 3 coats of clear FP

I remember talking to Robert at Crazy Angler about his process for attaching 3D eyes and temperature curing. Not sure if it came up in a post......

hookup

Radtexan said:
Super glue will stick em, but I've never been good enough to do it without getting some on the eye. It will leave a cloudy mess.

I've played around with a glog of slow running superglue on a piece of laminated cardboard (anything you buy has a laminated surface that resists the glue from being absorbed) then dipping a tooth pick into the glog and putting it on the back of the eye.

Works, but the fish in my neighborhood do not care if the jig has an eye or not, so I stopped messing with them.

Lostleader

how long does it normally take to get the eyes shipped? I ordered over 3 weeks ago and have yet to see them. I know they are coming from China, but I am just curious.

Kdog

LostLeader,
I usually get mine in 10 - 15 days.
Go to your ebay and check purchase history, then order details, then show shipping details

DuhOH - They are in Chinese New year until 2/26. Did your order ship before shut down?

Back