New to me fly

StumpHunter

I seen a fly tied like this somewhere, can't remember where but it was tied with smaller material making it close to the hook. When I tied these I wanted a little bigger profile. I have caught crappie and bream working the fly on the bottom.

This is a size 12 barbless hook with red hourglass eye 7/32 med size, brown 6/0 Uni thread, marabou tail with copper flash, copper SLF dubbing body, brown Whiting saddle collar, yellow Centipede legs.

View attachment 5
View attachment 6

Attachments

• BR-FLY, PBT-116, 1102 019.JPG
    BR-FLY, PBT-116, 1102 019.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 127
  • BR-FLY, PBT-116, 1102 020.JPG
    BR-FLY, PBT-116, 1102 020.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 127

Pup

Tie a larger one and then make a trip to the Broad River to catch a state record. :cool:

I really do like your tie's design for smallmouth bass fishing StumpHunter. :t-up:

StumpHunter

Thanks LedHed CappyHappy amd Pup.
I do think this one will work for many waters and fish. Pup I'll check out the link. The is a interesting river. I have seen gar as long as me in there.

ridgeliner

Your fly reminds me of a jig I tie. Search hot chili pepper fly. I tie it as a jig. I use an orange head for it. I've caught many fish with it. One spring I caught a 40" + muskie. I was using a 1/32 oz. jig at the time. After a 20 minute or longer fight I got the muskie along side the boat. My brother used long needle nose pliers and got the jig out. After a 20 - 30 second rest the muskie took off. I know that you have tied a fish catcher.

StumpHunter

Thanks guys for the comments. Ridgeliner that sounds like a very fun fish to catch :) I looked up the fly, it's amazing at what comes up when you search (hot chili pepper fly) but I was able to find a few that is tied like a woolly bugger and one that looks like a clouser. Looks like some killer flies.

QK, it does look alot like the Backstabber. https://www.google.com/search?q=Bac...8--Oaqh8QG044F4&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=791

I was hoping to try it out over the weekend but the rain here just keeps coming. I took the kayak to a small lake last Thursday but the wind was to strong to fish, LOL I spent all my time just trying to keep the kayak off the bank! After an hour of fighting the wind I gave in and loaded it.

Back