New rod!!

StumpHunter

Been wanting a good 3wt fly rod to use while in my kayak and found one I think I will use for many year. It is a Elkhorn 7-6'' 3wt. O-Boy!!

Attachments

• Elkhorn fly rod 001.JPG
    Elkhorn fly rod 001.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Elkhorn fly rod 003.JPG
    Elkhorn fly rod 003.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Elkhorn fly rod 005.JPG
    Elkhorn fly rod 005.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 113

snake River

that looks like a beautiful Rod I don't have any custom-built fly rods but that one looks really superclean and I bet you money that it is a super lightweight graphite.

Pup

Very nice rod StumpHunter. I went to the Elkhorn web site and liked what I saw there. Sweet. :t-up:

I received many early Christmas presents tonight. Suffice it to say, fly fishing will become part of my angling routine once again.

Casting from a kayak would be extremely challenging for me. I think that's cool that you are going to do that.

StumpHunter

Guys I took the reel I use on my bamboo rod with 3wt line and placed it on the rod yesterday and spent an hour in the back yard casting with just the line and no fly. The wind was blowing around 10 mph and you would not believe how easy it is to cast the 3wt using that rod. The rod loads so well on the back swing that when you bring the rod forward it almost throws the line by itself. The line would roll so easy and you can pick the line up easy with the line laying out forty feet. I hope I get a chance to try it on the water sometime this week.

StumpHunter

Pup said:
Very nice rod StumpHunter. I went to the Elkhorn web site and liked what I saw there. Sweet. :t-up:

I received many early Christmas presents tonight. Suffice it to say, fly fishing will become part of my angling routine once again.

Casting from a kayak would be extremely challenging for me. I think that's cool that you are going to do that.

Pup it's good to hear that you will be fly fishing again. :)
I have a river 1/4 mile from my house that I never fish much because of access so last month I bought a kayak so I could fish the river more. I have been on the river two times just to get use to the kayak and see how I needed to set it up to fit my needs. Now I have it ready to go along with another kayak I found on sale for 1/2 price.
I leaned to fly fish when I was a kid some 40 year ago on farm ponds. The ponds had a lot of brush and under growth around the banks so to get a popper bug under the hanging brush I leaned how to fish the ponds throwing side armed. I can use a fly rod as good side armed as I can over head casting so using one on my kayak should work about the same as fishing those ponds. I hope to post some report and pics in the next few months.

smalljaw

Congrats on the new rod!! I don't fly fish but looking at that rod makes me want to do it!! I used to have an old Scientific Angler set up and I could actually catch fish with it but I just loved conventional gear to the point I quit using it but having a good rod might change my mind. Nice rod and congrats again, I hope it serves you well!!

papaperch

Stump- There is a crappie pattern up here that I love to use a fly rod with. Usually occurs real Early April up here. This requires use of a live minnow on the fly rod though. Crappies will stack up real shallow on end of docks on real warm day. They are actually feeding on bugs but will not hit regular flies dry or wet and ignore streamers also. BUT.

They will take a nose hooked small minnow that is freelined with absolutely no weight. Soft casts are necessary so as not to lose the live bait. The fish are so shallow but over deep water any bobber hitting the water will spook them regardless of size.

One day at Berlin Lake I got tired of just admiring the big crappies doing this. Can't walk out on dock either as that will spook them also. Finally I came up with this solution . Put on a pair of hip waders and hid in the standing brush to break up my outline.
Soft cast to edge of dock. Minnow swam about 3 inches before being inhaled by Mr Crappie. Be careful to not let flyline slap the water as these fish spook to just about anything.

Will never catch huge numbers of crappie this way . But for whatever reason all the crappie I have caught using this method are 12 inches and up. I used a 4 # mono as a leader and a #4 light wire aberdeen hook. The fly line is actually your bobber as I use a fw5-f line on this particular fly rod. Leader does not have to be long 2' or slightly over will work.

Some of the strikes are down right vicious well at least as vicious as a crappie can get. they do this in other lakes up here. can't figure out why they do it and no one else has able to logically explain it to me either. All I know it is great fun to catch them this way. If you can get over desecrating your fly rod with live bait.:rolleyes:

Fatman

Perch wouldn't have a problem with the bait on the fly rod!! although I don't think it would be allowed in fly fish only sections of a few of the rivers up here!!!!!!!LOL

Back