New guy in Washington

green98cav

Hey guys, my names Paul. I'm a transplant from Indiana to Washington. I primarily fish for steelhead and salmon out here and have tied jigs in the past. When I did so I used a friends equipment though. Now I'm looking to get into my own due to not wanting to pay $3-$6 a jig. What "kits" would you recommend if any or maybe even a vice/tools separately. Anyways here is a few examples of my handy work. Tight lines everyone
a3370c658e56893d6c7fcc62e5befd9b.jpg
a032d8ec65d6060738c69c267791e140.jpg
5a131369a3bffe4a83c4422a4673fb5a.jpg
6dae7bde517d029e2a084264c5a8423f.jpg
8d2d238ef736781dad39397f3a67f946.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome from NW Ohio. Some excellent fish! You were photo bombed in that 2nd picture.... either he is your buddy or he was not happy you caught that fish in front of him. haha

Not sure if a kit with tools would be needed. The majority of tied jigs do not really require some of the specialized tools you get in a kit. A bobbin for the thread, good scissors, a razor blade, a needle and a bottle of clear nail polish for sealant are my main tools. What type of jigs are you usually buying that you want to make your self?

green98cav

Sorry, and yes I was photo bombed. The 3rd picture was the case before the 2nd. He didn't like that in two casts I got my limit within being at the river for 5 minutes when he had been at the river for 4-5 hours. Oh well, someone has to catch them. And from Ohio, my family is originally from Dayton and I'm a huge buck eye fan.

green98cav

Typical jigs are made of Maribor or zonkers with some flash.

9a01ae52377caa71643dc09a82011784.jpg

goodtimesfishing

Welcome aboard Paul, nice to see more Washingtonians. Where you located?

I am guessing you are looking to make 1/8 oz jigs for steelhead(float fishing) and 3/8 oz twitching jigs for the silvers.

Hopefully we will get a chance to fish next year. This year has been very sad!

green98cav

I live on lake cavanaugh near mount Vernon, and I completely agree this year has been terrible with all the closures. Especially since I'm still catching big bright fish. Starting December 1st I'll be staying at family's house in Monroe while my wife helps her recover from surgery so I guess I'll be forced to fish the skykomish and Wallace for steelhead every day. It's a rough life lol. Yes 1/8 oz mainly and 3/8 twitching on occasion.

AllenOK

Welcome from MI!

Find yourself a fly shop that sells vices. Tell them what you're wanting to do. See if they'll let you get hand's-on with a vice there in the shop. -OR- Find a fly-tier's meeting and see if they'll let you get a little time on their vices.

I think you'll probably just need a few good tools, like AtticaFish mentioned, along with some Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear fingernail polish for head cement. From the looks of your jigs, you'll probably need some good marabou to start off with. Then, you can augment that with some various colors of Flashabou, Krystal Flash, various Rabbit Zonkers, then maybe some died hackle feathers?

green98cav

Well last night I went and dropped $110 online for materials. Does anyone know where I can find online powdercoated jig heads already? 1/8 oz ball? I ordered some from joelsjig's for $8.60 per 10. I know most powdercoat their own but I don't have the equipment for that. Especially since I'm hoping to be tying while I'm at work as well. (On a boat for 60 days at a time) thanks everyone

hookup

Welcome

You can check w/ some of the guys on the board - they sell them.

Kdog

green98cav said:
Well last night I went and dropped $110 online for materials. Does anyone know where I can find online powdercoated jig heads already? 1/8 oz ball? I ordered some from joelsjig's for $8.60 per 10. I know most powdercoat their own but I don't have the equipment for that. Especially since I'm hoping to be tying while I'm at work as well. (On a boat for 60 days at a time) thanks everyone

Although I encourage you to PC your jigs, All is not lost, ladies fingernail polish does an outstanding although you may take some ribbing from your shipmates. Todays colors are amazing and topcoated with Hard as Nails, they will be almost as durable as PC jigs.

goodtimesfishing

Hey Paul your only 20 miles from me, I am in Arlington. Have you fished the stilly this year? We may have fished together. My place is on the south fork about a mile from haller park where the Stillaguamish splits to north and south forks.

How many jigs are you looking for? I am at long beach until this weekend but I can make you up some when I return home for basically the cost of the hooks. I need to pour a bunch anyways when I get home. Let me know what colors and sizes you want if interested.

hookup

green98cav said:
Well last night I went and dropped $110 online for materials.

I'll say you're hooked. :jig:

It's only a matter of time until you buy a bottle of powder paint now. :D

AllenOK

$110? Was that all? :)

When I have money to spend (tax time), I've been known to drop several hundred. It's an addiction, that's for sure.

It doesn't really cost all that much to get into powder painting. A heat source to heat the jigs (I use an old oil lamp), a pair of hemostats to grip the jig with, a rack of some kind to cure the jigs, a toaster oven to cure the jigs in, and most importantly, the paint itself. All told, the paint is probably the most expensive.

stabgnid

Hello fellow Hoosier !!!
I from Marion Indiana now living in Tacoma Washington..
Goodtimesfishing makes some awsome jigs Thats where I got my last Batch of jigs from.
Steve-stabgnid

green98cav

Marion, near my neck of the woods. I'm originally from Pendleton. Thanks good times. Pm sent. And $110 was a decent first start I thought. I can see easily how this hobby can nickel and dime you.

AllenOK

That's the truth. I'll usually make a few big orders from a few different online sources, then go to a local fly shop to hand-select some other things. All totalled, I may spend anywhere between $150 and $300 in that shopping spree.

However, when I have a fly shop "close at hand", I will usually find some excuse to run out there and spend $5 - $20 here and there. Sometimes, over the course of a year, that can add up to just as much as my annual splurge in February.

One big tip, is to try and learn where a lot of the tying materials come from, and try to find cheaper sources. Many items that are marked as "fly tying" get marked up 400%. You can sometimes find these same materials in other places, dirt cheap!

green98cav

Thanks everyone. How does everyone store their jigs? I was looking into some of the larger fly boxes and curious if anyone had any suggestions.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Most of my tied jigs are under 3" total length so I store them in 2x2 & 2x3 4 mil zip lock plastic bags, then store the bagged jigs in just right fit small boxes. Both bags and boxes may be available locally at packaging supply outlets or online. Multiple jigs stacked head down fit in a bag, as much as 4 - 1/8s with smaller hooks. For larger jigs larger bags are available. Check prices, 1,000 may not cost much more than 100, especially online.

Bag storage helps prevent materials from distorting or kinking, and hooks from rusting. And, all I need for an outing fits neatly in a small waist pack or even clothing pockets. 4 mil has a # of advantages over 2 mil for this use.

green98cav

Well I got all my stuff in and started tying, so far so good. Imnot the best but they seem to do the job. The first fish was 25" second was 30".

e6a9fb6f0cda3bbb132a76a2515ef7df.jpg
fb3b7869db90195eb3136c6a7fbfd6a4.jpg
d321d4db58a75f547daa4733a561ac20.jpg
a15cc04945937e7eec44d1aba98e2034.jpg
f0c2b9bc6077f8f45c541c84ab9c048b.jpg

4438fc288bbf506474ffe5a8549d6662.jpg
b6b92e36a737a4c516495e8b7600a6a4.jpg

Back