New EC sample

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I got a sample in of the EC L3052 the other day. Its their equivalent to mustads 32746np. This EC is very sharp and about 20 bucks a box cheaper. Has anyone used these? Figured some of you might be interested for your bass pours.

toadfrog

Way to go pal. keep us posted . I've been out of the loop so long any news is good news.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yeah, too big sizes for me too. Like Ultra Point 32831, only /0 available. Guess I'm a lightweight.

Gamakatsu 604 #2 is a nice long shank #4 gap configuration, but the price - ouch!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
What HJ you dont like throwing a 20 cent hook around your rocky terrain! :p

This EC 1/0 is same gap as #1 sickle which is normally the case with sickles.

Hawnjigs

KISS
You know, I inventoried Gamakatsu & Owner hooks for customers, never used em myself cuz of the cost for years. But, since JiggerJohn's prop jigs require more tying space, started using those longer shank Gami #2s and now look at the cost issue philosphically. Say, if I lost 10 jigs, the $2 cost is cheap for the satisfaction of using the best possible tool for the job.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Browsing thru Capt. Hooks I notice that Eagle Claw's "EL" series is now available. Looks like a lot of Mustad Ultra Point knock offs, which actually couldn't come at a better time given that Mustad quality control appears to be slipping. What I find interesting is the EL786BP which I hope can substitute for the dull point China 32786 I sent back, hopefully all the way to China. Go USA!

Great idea for Eagle Claw to finally catch up to premium point technology, and agree with "Ron Don" too bad the EL3502 isn't available in smaller than 1/0 sizes. Whoever on EC staff decided that IMO is out of touch with the needs of mainstream American fresh water anglers.

Fatman

Eagle Claw and most of the others have always catered first to the bass crowd, then filtered down to the rest of the fishing populace. If they get bombarded with emails requesting smaller sizes you might find them coming out quicker.

Since I only pour for myself and a few friends I stick with the Matzuo's, mustads, some VMC's and eagle claws. I've read all the stuff about the hooks failing but I just haven't seen it, just lucky I guess.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Got some EL samples today. The points are not evenly coned IMO but feel sharp to the touch. Hate to say it cuz I really wanted to buy USA, but I'm gonna pass until EC improves their wire strength. The ease which these hooks bent out is unacceptable IMO.

View attachment 2

Attachments

• EC EL.JPG
    EC EL.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 47

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hawnjigs said:
...The ease which these hooks bent out is unacceptable IMO...

I am not familiar with what hooks these are trying to match up to, but are they considered to be a light wire hook? Seems i have been seeing that as a selling point more and more lately saying that the thinner wire penetrates easier. My pops always taught me to cross the fish's eyes when you set the hook so thicker wire doesn't scare me. :p BUT - on the other hand i know alot of anglers (crappie mostly) who fish brush that WANT the hooks to bend out fairly easily so they can get a hung-up jig back without breaking their line. May have some application for smaller/lighter jigs?

Fatman

Hawn

Hope that's just a bad picture cause the bronzing is really messed up between the three you posted the pic of, and the top two look like the tempering is messed up too.

crappiecripplerjigs

I think AF is right on target. Most folks around here, and even the other locals who tie jigs prefer the EC gold hooks. They all say the gold hooks bend easier and they don't lose as many to underwater snags. Myself... I have used them vs. EC bronze, Mustad bronze, sickles, and nearly everything else and can't see much difference in strength. I think you have to factor in how deep the hook is embedded and how rotten the brush below is. Too technical for me. I'm going fishing and if I lose a jig I will tie more. A hook is a hook is a hook..... but I sure do like those black chrome sickles!

Hawnjigs

KISS
In general, my fingers can feel the difference in bend out resistance comparing different hook brands of the same type & wire gauge. For example IMO Mustad Ultra Point is noticeably harder to bend out than Eagle Claw.

I know some prefer softer tempered EC for snag release but having lost fish to bend outs I like stiffer. Same for preferring heavier over thin wire. Max hook strength becomes essential with no stretch braid.

Fatman, the hooks were EC "black pearl" and decently finished, but that is a slight blem on the shank of the middle hook. The apparent uneven appearance of the finish is due to a dinosaur .33 mp(yes one third) camera.

Oh, better mention the pictured hooks are AFTER my bend out test.

Fatman

Thanks Hawn that's what I figured but better to ask!!! I sent an email to EC about down sizing them and basically got we're looking into it.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
The samples i received were definitely lighter than the ultra points that they were compared to. If strength is what you want these arent the ones for you! But as far as sharpness.... I was pleased with that. So to me it boils down to what fish is the target with these.

JSC

I got some of the 1/0 & 3/0 .... in fishing with them everything is good so far ... on the 1/0 on getting hung I managed to get it back with slight outward bend using 12# mono ... Next time I lost it. The Finish on them are S/Water resistant ... Really sharp and they stick a snag as fast as a fish. Have only used them frishin from the bank (good Trout & Redfish hole this time of the year) my time has been so limited the past 3 weeks I have only gotten down there a couple of times for up to 1 hour at the time. I think that these hooks should do the job as it takes a good deal of pressure to get it to bend outward ... that was the main thing I saw that could be a strike aginst it by some fishermen

Back