New build

hookup

Broke a rod on the drive up to Canada, so stripped the guides, bought a 6'6" ML Avid blank, and had a graphite cloth handle in stock

IMGP1113_zps7yq4h2vg.jpg

IMGP1114_zpsxhg75boj.jpg

IMGP1115_zps5hkqbkys.jpg

hookup

Update

Last month went kayaking with a buddy and he flipped his yak & lost a GL Loomis w/ a Stradic.  I posted this rod on another board and he liked it so much we made a small barter arrangement and now he owns the rod.

So of course, I needed to build another .... so the addiction continues

I luv split TN cork handles - buddy made this one for some jigs from another barter arrangement.  

He was quite on what he did, but said he punched each cork ring from a piece of raw cork.  The material looked familiar, so I went to my bag full of gasket material from when I use to make my own gaskets tinkering with motorcycles and damn, I think I know his secret.  To punch out a 1/4” ring, and glue them all up, then turn them on a lathe is allot of work.

For that much work, I needed the ‘right’ blank.  

Been wanting to build on, and fish a St. Croix Legend tournament blank, so had a 10% coupon from Jann’s and got a ML power, Fast action, 6’6” blank.  Got the blank and the taper on the SCiV was unreal.   Last night & this morning, reamed out the handle and glued everything up

2016%2010%20SCiV_zpsujspjhyo.jpg

Guides are on the way from Mud hole, so when the epoxy on the handle cures, I'll be ready to go

Will be using Fuji Concept titanium silicon carbonate spin guides

The shine between the rubberized cork & gasket material will be sanded down after everything dries & cures

Kdog

Loooks good. Personally I am getting ready to build a rod, be my first, but I've done everything except start from scratch so I figure, just take my time and make what I want, sure cannot afford to buy what I want.

Kdog

Loooks good. Personally I am getting ready to build a rod, be my first, but I've done everything except start from scratch so I figure, just take my time and make what I want, sure cannot afford to buy what I want.

hookup

Great, I'm passing on the addiction

First rod I built was with a card board box with two notches on each side cut and a book for the thread tensioner. Came out nice.

I buy stuff when I get a discount or they come on sale. Shikari went out about 8 years ago, and I bought 5 $30 blanks. They retailed for a buck fifty each.

Just look around for a deal. Mudhole.com has them on sale allot. First blank I got was $5 and guides were $10. Made the handle out of cork pieces and used a drill, wrapped in a rag in a vice as a red-neck lathe. The blank was blem Avids

Still got it

hookup

The hi rise guides are part of the Concept system. An imaginary line from the shaft of the reel is the cone of flight (unlike conventional wraps that have a one cone of flight to the tip top), then shoot the line off with fly guides. Articles claim further distance using Concept guides than using conventional guides, but that's a controversy in the rod building field the same as semi-auto vs revolver in the hand gun field. I like it because I believe I get longer casts.

I've been donating rods to various charities and to kids groups and I'm down to about 75 now.

JUNGLEJIM1

Really nice work. 75 rods is a lot. I think I have about 20, some I haven't used for years. Nothing better than custom builds.

hookup

I use about 5 of them consistently, another 5 off and on. Got some antique bamboo rods that never get fished. Also have a salt water collection that's been sitting for quite some time.

This one will replace a rod I broke on the Canadian trip & will get used.

T

Troy Luna

I just got back from fishing Toledo Bend. I had bought one of your KLX rods and had a Lew’s Tournament MG reel on it. It was the best combo I have ever used. Most of it was because of the rod. I thought I had found the perfect rod when I bought my white magic rods. Your KLX is absolutely the best rod I have ever had in my hand. I own Falcons, Ducketts, Loomis, Quantum’s, and Lamiglas. I have already told my wife she has as a Christmas present she can buy me. Another KLX rod. I bought the crankbait rod. The Duckett’s are very sweet rods for sure but after using the KLX this will be the only rod I ever buy in the future. You hit a home run with his rod.

Back