need UL rod advice

earthworm77

I am looking for a fast action UL rod, I'd prefer 6-9 to 7ft.

I am currently looking at a couple......anyone add any experience or advice on these.....:

1-Fenwick Elite Tech River runner 6-8 2pc UL
2-St. Croix 7ft Trout series 2pc UL
3-Fenwick Eagle GT 7ft 1pc UL

The River Runner has some excellent reviews but it is a 100.00+ rod. The Trout series is about 120.00 and also has some good feedback. The Eagle GT is the only 1pc rod, it is about 60.00 and has good reviews as well. I prefer a one pc but if the River Runner is something I shouldn't live without, I will get the 2pc rod. Let me know what you think......I'm looking at overall weight, thin diameter of the blank and a fast action. I'm not interested in a ul that starts to bend at the grip, that would be way too slow a rod.

moswampy

St croix all the way. Just picked up a 6'panfish series UL a couple weeks ago. Ran a double rig with minnow on top down to depths of 30'. I could feel the minnow moving erratic on the line prior to it getting hit. Paired it up with a pinnacle president 30 series. Can balance it on on finger. They make a 6-9" in the panfish or premier series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kdog

The St Croix PS70ULF2 is a great rod for the $. Best advice I can give is to decide what reel you are going to use, get the reel and try it on several rods.

I have an 8'6" OKuma UL that was 1/3 the price of my St Croix and truthfully, I think it is a better rod http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-CE-S-461UL-1-Graphite-Lightweight-Spinning/dp/B000A391YI

My Fishing Buddy has a Shimano Clarus UL Shimano CSS70UL2B Clarus Travel Ultra Light Spinning Rod 2pc that is another great choice.

I have mine matched to a Quantum TE 10 PTiB Tour Edition reel that I use for almost everything smoothest most reliable drag I've eever had. Funny thing is, we both have the same st croix and think they are great rods but end up taking our alternate rods more often than not.

jschmidt

probably a little late.... I have the Fenwick River Runner in a 5-8 1 pc... which I am not sure if they still make. great rod for small stream trout fishing I do. but it is a slower action... I would say its closer to Mod-fast then fast.
St Croix is a great company that stands behind their product. not just words of the 10 rods I own, 7 are St Croix. Only thing I would say is don't let their "Naming" pigeon-hole you into a certain series of Rod. one of my Favorite Trout rods is a Eye-Con Walleye series.

When it comes to multi-piece rods... a huge part of fishing I do is "feel" working jigs/lures down the river. IMO... you loss feel with some of the multi-piece rods. Just check out the Ferrules... do they go together smoothly? is the seating firm? meaning that you can't easily spin or pull the 2 pcs apart. avoid slop or play in the ferrules. sometimes this mean spending a bit more.

hookup

T over on RS luvs his UL TSR Loomis', but they ain't cheap.

I built a couple 3S70MUL2's and keep saying I'm going to build myself one. Plenty of back bone for bass, but whippy enough for the paper mouth of a crappie.

earthworm77

I picked up a Major Craft 6-6 UL. It got a good write up on Tackle Tour. It is a Japanese JDM rod. I think personally if I come across a 6-9 River runner, I will snap it up. I've seen them for 149.00 at USA tackle and 104.00 on ebay a while back. I'll wait until I can get it cheap.

Back