Need more advice on weed guards

Bucho

Hi,

I got myself the FB-4H-AFM weedless football mixed hooked mold the other day which generally speaking I am very happy with. I get along well with the teflon pins and the painting and everything. Problem ist that I find the FG 30 weedguards I bought with it to be a bit heavy for targeting yellow perch. While european perch seems to be a bit bigger and more aggressive than north american ones and readyly take large crawfish patterns, they are not exactly green carp. Totally unfamiliar with FG-calibration, I wonder what weed guard to use and wether or not they will fit my mold. My first idea is to use FG 12. Those should be a bit weaker?  :huh:  will they somehow fit into the 1/8th hole? I found the FG30 a bit thick for glueing in anyhow. They barely fitted without pulling some strands. I need a fool-proof production solution though but don`t know weed guard basics. BTW I have an engraving machine and could modify a regular mold into a light weedguard one, but that would be a day worth of work with uncertain outcome which I would rather get around somehow - not to mention the problem of getting my hands on matching base holder pins.

JUNGLEJIM1

The FG 12 will fit the 1/8 hole. I don't care for the FG3O myself and instead use y guards size 3 model 2155 for the 1/8 and yg-1s guard size 1992 for the larger sizes. These work great but are getting hard to find. I bought most of my local bait shops stock and did find a site that carries them as well. I should have written it down but will try and find it. You should look into these, very flexible.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I used to make a few WG heads, but quit when learning they don't ship well, tending to get bent out of shape. The FGs needed to be neatly stacked in small heavy zips, & the Ys were impossible to bag & needed crush proof box packing.

Bucho

hmmm good point haven´t thought of that. Crush proof has become a necessity anyhow since every second order includes flounder heads (USD wobble) and/or triples (Shad bait lure). Then again, others do it too so what the heck. If everything else fails I`ll offer glue-it-yourself heads that provide just a hole.

Like the Ys better, too, but barlow`s are just as thick. Thanks for the info junglejim, would be nice to learn about that supplier if you can find it. They look neat and somewhat more appropiate.

Bucho

That source looks fine to me, thanks! I assume Y-1 is softer than Y-4? Would you recommend it? Will they fit into a 1/8" hole?

JUNGLEJIM1

That's the site I was referring too. I haven't bought guards there yet since the shop near home has them for $3.99 per 100. The white guards in the above picture measures 1 inch long and is the softest guard. Black guards are 1.25 inches long and are pretty soft. Not sure if the Lurecraft guards are the same as the ones I have.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I have the same mold, and the heads are popular even without WGs. Base pins can be trimmed somewhat flush with the head surface eliminating the holes for a bit more weight. Heads with WG holes are available for glue-it-yourself.

hookup

My 'weed guards' are mostly guards to prevent snagging in rocky ledgy rivers

I cut a slot with a dremel in a do it mold & use 68# (0.18) diameter stainless steal leader wire or insultated 7 strand leader wire

IMGP0051.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

Back