Need a Favor Ron Don

papaperch

Thinking about using a presto pot and using that Platisol Clearasol.

Found a presto pot that is only 1 liter capacity. so would be minimal investment ( yeah right ) to try this dipping of plastics.

Here is where the favor comes in old buddy old pal ( shmoozing here )

I am thinking if this idea is a bust. I could still use to coat my jig heads.
Right now I use clear cure goo a lot but not entirely happy with results.
Could you tell me if you have already tried this ? If not could you try dunking a jig head in the plastisol. see if the finish remains clear and bright.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Papa your best bet is to just get a microwave to cook it. You can do much smaller batches in the mic and you can cook it 10 times faster! You will end up wasting a bunch of plastic in the presto pot. For dipping to conserve plastic its best to use something like a beaker that is narrow. If you are dipping a 2" bait you can fill the beaker with 3" of plastic. AND if you have that beaker sitting on a griddle, you will be able to keep the plastic at a good working temp for a longer time period without having to reheat it in the Mic. Every time you reheat you will get a little yellowing.

I have never dipped a jig head. Are you talking about a bare head or painted? I don't know how tough your goo is but this plastisol isn't going to be very durable over the hard head.

papaperch

I was talking about a finished jig head . With the 3d eyes and painted. Don't know how the heat would affect the eyes . I would do fast dip then wait a few seconds and dip in water.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
It won't hurt the 3d eyes. I dip over them on plastic baits. The dipped plastic is going to peel off the head fairly easy I think. I'll do some the next time I have some hot.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I dipped a couple today. Will get you a pic tomorrow. I was able to make a few baits with some of the new film that looks pretty cool.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Heres some that I dipped up. The chartreuse is 1/32 pill that I dipped one time. The brown is a 1/8 that I dipped twice. Wasn't sure if you wanted to see the body dipped also so one the brown I didn't dip the entire body to show the difference.

dip1_zpsbc626c46.jpg

dip_zps22476d2c.jpg

Heres a quick sneak peak at some with the new film. Still going to dress these up some! Now spike it has added it to there site. THey have a bunch of colors!

foils_zps30bf3256.jpg

papaperch

Thanks RD . Those early foilies look like the skies the limit with them. Were they hard to make ?

Off to see what Spike It has. Sure hope you enjoy making these foilies because I really do not want to pour plastics.

But those reflective bodies will be death to crappies. I am almost certain of that. Those bodies look ideal for what I am planning

Back