NED RIG/HAIR JIG

Flyjigger

There's been a lot of fuss around the NED RIG in the last couple of years. Anyone who has fished it offer any comparison of success between "the rig" and a hand tied hair jig of similar profile?

God Bless,
Don

hookup

Great rig for dinks ...

Haven't tried it yet in the cold, but a sparsely tied hair jig is money

Flyjigger

hookup said:
Great rig for dinks ...

Yes, George, I know, That's why I can't quite wrap my head around a small slug of floating Elaztech being so effective. I've always had great success with small hair/marabou jigs. If the rig can outfish them then I will set myself up. But don't want to waste my money on stuff that is being pretty aggressively marketed if my hand ties can do just as well. As a matter of fact, I've caught a lot of decent bass and pike on 1.5 t0 2" crappie tubes.

God Bless,
Don/Canada

Flyjigger

hookup said:
Great rig for dinks ...

Yes, George, I know, That's why I can't quite wrap my head around a small slug of floating Elaztech being so effective. I've always had great success with small hair/marabou jigs. If the" rig" can outfish them then I will set myself up. But don't want to waste my money on stuff that is being pretty aggressively marketed if my hand ties can do just as well. As a matter of fact, I've caught a lot of decent bass and pike on 1.5 to 2" crappie tubes.

God Bless,
Don/Canada

Bucho

didn`t know what a ned rig was before I postet good results with tip up heads. They work very, very well with bucktail and rabbit, hardly ever snag and both cod and zander seem to apreciate the upright presentation. I feel no need to go buy elaztech.

Jig Man

Never tried it... And I guess I missed the welcome.

But hey,
Welcome to Jig Craft  Flyjigger, great place to hang out...

:beer:

Flyjigger

Sorry for the double post. I'm not entirely new and was here as "smallmouth" until I forgot my log in details. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and love to fish for bass, trout and walleye. I fish from kayak, canoe, float tube or inflatable pontoon boat. I've recently started to go out with my friend in his boat. 

Been fishing jigs for a long time and have been using them with the flyrod after the frustration of trying to fit bead heads on a fly hook. The small jigs are very effective on the long rod. In my youth I used to tape an ultra-lite spinning reel to my flyrod. I've honed my skills with the flyrod to the point that the spinning reel is no longer necessary. 
Glad to be aboard again!!!

God Bless,
Don

hookup

to tape an ultra-lite spinning reel to my flyrod

I've done that too but went with a UL fiberglass spinning rod I found in the bargin bin

Welcome Don - great place to learn

Flyjigger

hookup said:
to tape an ultra-lite spinning reel to my flyrod

I've done that too but went with a UL fiberglass spinning rod I found in the bargin bin

Welcome Don - great place to learn

Hey George have you tried Nanofil? With that line you can cast even tiny jigs on a spinning rod.

God Bless,
Don

hookup

I use Tectan for light weight applications. The 4# tectan has the diameter of 1-2#.

JUNGLEJIM1

My favorite mono as well. Don't know why Cabelas stopped carrying it. I worke there for awhile and it out sold other premium lines. I stocked up back then but now I'm almost out. Guess I'll be placing an overseas order pretty soon. I ordered the tip up and the 2017 finesse mold to play with this winter. Both should shine with bucktail since it floats. Curious about what was meant by sparse tie with the hair jigs in comparison to my ties. A picture would be nice for comparison.

hookup

Jim - for smallies in the winter a sparse tie is a couple strands of silicone and even less bucktail. Or an inch long tail of zonker and a wrap of crosscut by the head.  An example would be something akin to what LedHed would post for chasing gills.

Back