Nail jig

Barefoot

I always liked the Shiney Hiney style head for the slow, level drop and the flash. I found some 3/0, 1/8 nail jigs and plastic eyes that I had and trimmed off some lead and bent the hooks to imitate the pattern. 
The shrimp is a Shiney Hiney and the shad is my tie. I like the heads for the flash and I am working on ideas for a hand tied tail instead of using the plastic. I keep coming back to using saddle feathers for a streamer or deceiver pattern behind some palmered marabou.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Nail%20jig%20chenille.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Looks like you created a ringer - the bead eyes look like a challenge to mount and might provide exceptional bite attraction. I think a short fluff tie could imitate other forage than baitfish or shrimp.

I thought I invented the nail head 10 yrs ago - I wonder if the Shiney Hiney preceded mine?

Pup

Those are great-looking ties.  I would field test them anytime for multiple species in fresh or saltwater.

I've admired the ideas of SW tiers for, now, several years.  Geoff Ehrlichman of Slidell, LA comes immediately to mind.

Were nail-head jigs developed, originally, as inserts to solid plastic-bodied baits?  I'd like to wrap my thoughts around this, as there may be a FW application that I can create and tie. ;)

Nice work BF. :t-up:

Barefoot

I am not aware of the origin of the nail jig but I have been using them for almost 10 years. I see the nail jigs on your site Keith and I would be interested if you designed the jig to be tied on? The local use was for soft plastics fished under popping corks.
Geoff came up with the swivel jig which is still my favorite surf jig.
The Shiney Hiney from Jennys is a Louisiana design as well and was sold to Texas Tackle Factory a few years back. The Sac A Lait jig is a local favorite for Crappie and you can still get them from Jennys.
I used to get the hooks and other tackle from Bayou Bucks.
http://www.jennysjigs.com/
http://www.bayoubucklures.com/index.htm
There are some great tackle innovators from South Louisiana.
I will tie up a few tails on the nail jigs soon.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Indeed the LA jig designers are innovators - local word of mouth distribution I suspect cuz I've never heard of those excellent gripper collar designs. Multiple sharp edge ridge collars on heavy wire hooks might only be possible with injection pressure molding.

My nail head designed strictly for holding plastics, never tried to tie one.

duffy

Can see many different possibilities there for some interesting ties.  A well designed mold with good venting should be able to pour that but getting someone to build it could be a different story.

duffy

If I were a fish I'd eat it! Will be interesting to see how it balances with the central weight, you may really be on to something.

Back