Mustad 91715 alternative?

vin

Hello im new to the boards and pretty new to pouring. I just got a do-it mold style 9 jig head kit. It says to use mustad 91715 hooks in a 7/0 size. Are there alternatives to use instead of having to use this particular style? I prefer a round bend withva shortercshank as I use 5" swimbait bodies and a 7/0 tends to reduce the action. Thank you for the help in advance. Happy pouring

Best regards,
Vin

plateboater

You will need to experiment a bit to find how much variance is in the mold for hook sizes. I would suggest Barlow Tackle or Lurepartsonline (get there catalogs and they have a physical page that shows size) to review different style hooks. If you see something you like buy a small pack.

hookup

If you're not using the hooks the mold recommend, you may have to modify your molds.

I've modified 80% of my molds either for a different hook, to change a 90d bend into a 60d bend, or to add a wire weed guard.

Dremel with a small carbite bit cuts aluminum nicely - sometimes to nicely, then you go to JB Weld to fix.

Enjoy pouring, it's addictive once you start.

LedHed

Sponsor
Hola from SoCal & welcome aboard.

7/0 is way too big for a 5" swimbait! The Mustad BLNs will work a lot better. Owner and Gamkatsu will work too - break out the check book.... Some 60* hooks will work too.

vin

Thank you for all the suggestions and help. Ill try with the mustads first as they are a cheaper option fornow. Thanks again

Regards,
Vin

LedHed

Sponsor
Check out VMCs Barbarian too. A 60* hook (if it fits in the cavity) allows the use of a smaller hook then required for the mold. What size head are you pouring?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Don't have that mold, but Mustad 32786 has been my best interchange for 91715. Minor, if any, mods as long as the hook sets up straight thru the collar. If not, fill and drill the stock hook eye socket, or drill a new one towards the nose.

Another possibility is Eagle Claw 413, maybe with a minor bend to fit.

Or, if don't want to modify the Do-it RHO-4-LA according to Barlows will fit both hooks in 1, 1-1/2, 2, & 3 oz. weights.

vin

my mold has a 90 degree and not a 60. im leary of modifying my mold with a dremel as i "ALWAYS" slip.lol. i am just hoping to utilize a smaller shank hook. if i do any mods it will be to add a collar to add a skirt to it. but that will most likely be far into the future for me. right now this is just to minimize the cost of my swimbait addiction when fishing salt. i literally go through about 4-6 lead heads a session due to the structure i fish. and at 4.xx a pair of leadheads it is not very cost effective. i will post up pics of my jig heads and lures i am planning on pouring. hopefully they work for the lings im after. thanks again for all the help.

if i were to buy a blank mold can i go to any shop to have it routed? thanks again

LedHed

Sponsor
You need to talk to Shawn Collins - he posts molds on fleabay sometimes. His molds aren't cheap but worth the money. It's not easy to find someone to work on molds - not cost effective (shipping - set up time).

Are you in SoCal?

vin

LedHed said:
You need to talk to Shawn Collins - he posts molds on fleabay sometimes. His molds aren't cheap but worth the money. It's not easy to find someone to work on molds - not cost effective (shipping - set up time).

Are you in SoCal?

im in norcal. i found the perfect lead heads made by kalins (s jigs) and was wondering if there would be a way to copy the shape.

vin

Is there anw advantage to using 60 degree hooks over the 90? I just ordered some vmc beasts and some mustad hd in 4/0 and 5/0. Waiting for those to come in so I can start testing the waters. Is a dollar a pound for 99.8% a fairly good deal for lead? Thanks again all for the help

Hawnjigs

KISS
IMO, 60* hooks have a functional advantage only if the eye is forward on the head. Per your request, the 32786 has a much shorter shank than 91715, and the 413 a little shorter. A max heavy wire extra short shank is the Mustad 60* 34185. Sorry, but I left all my big jig hooks in HI when I moved to NE.

I was paying $1 per lb. for scrap in HI, rarely of 99.8 purity.

A 2-3 step hook downsize might require modifying the mold or hooks, the latter being easiest for personal use quantity. My aquisition of a Microlux drill press for hook eye mold mods has been invaluable, but there are less expensive versions available.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5y1cqj6ntl_b

vin

Hawnjigs said:
IMO, 60* hooks have a functional advantage only if the eye is forward on the head. Per your request, the 32786 has a much shorter shank than 91715, and the 413 a little shorter. A max heavy wire extra short shank is the Mustad 60* 34185. Sorry, but I left all my big jig hooks in HI when I moved to NE.

I was paying $1 per lb. for scrap in HI, rarely of 99.8 purity.

A 2-3 step hook downsize might require modifying the mold or hooks, the latter being easiest for personal use quantity. My aquisition of a Microlux drill press for hook eye mold mods has been invaluable, but there are less expensive versions available.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5y1cqj6ntl_b

thanks for that info brah. appreciate it. ill go buy some of that lead now. lol

Back