Mustad 3366 hook for flies

luremaker

Hey all I have a question for all the fly tiers.

What flies can be tied on a mustad 3366 hook? I don't understand what the purpose of the bent eye is on most flies you see? I also see the mustad 3366 hook listed as a fly hook but what flies?

Thanks

Pup

The explanations of fly eyes, that I've read, are often ambiguous or vague at best.

This link provides the best explanation of eye positioning that I've found to date. Haven't personally evaluated the various eye positions of hooks on the water. I doubt they'd matter much to me anyway.

IT’S ALL IN THE EYE OF THE HOOK

Google search on Mustad 3366 and view the returned links to fly tying suppliers to get several ideas. They'll often provide suggested flies to tie with specific hooks.

creekychub

I use the 3366 frequently to tie all kinds of flies. Its a general hook that can be used for just about anything. From small to large Wooly buggers to simple hoppers and Chernobyl ants in the 10 to 6 size range. Great streamer hook in the mid range sizes and bigger bass bugs on the size 1 and up. Very reasonably priced hook that performs well for all kinds of flies. Its also great for spinning up prototypes because its so inexpensive, or using as a shank for articulated patterns by clipping off the bend.

Up/down turned hook eyes can change the look of the finished fly. But in practical purposes, a slight down turned eye (bend toward the hook point) can help flip a fly over (with the addition of a little weight like bead chain or dumbbell eyes) and ride hook point up. Used all the time when spinning a bonefish or carp style pattern, helping avoid snags somewhat. Patterns like the clouser minnow, crazy charlie, near-nuff crayfish, and the trouser worm can be helped by a slightly down turned hook eye.

luremaker

creekychub said:
I use the 3366 frequently to tie all kinds of flies. Its a general hook that can be used for just about anything. From small to large Wooly buggers to simple hoppers and Chernobyl ants in the 10 to 6 size range. Great streamer hook in the mid range sizes and bigger bass bugs on the size 1 and up. Very reasonably priced hook that performs well for all kinds of flies. Its also great for spinning up prototypes because its so inexpensive, or using as a shank for articulated patterns by clipping off the bend.

Up/down turned hook eyes can change the look of the finished fly. But in practical purposes, a slight down turned eye (bend toward the hook point) can help flip a fly over (with the addition of a little weight like bead chain or dumbbell eyes) and ride hook point up. Used all the time when spinning a bonefish or carp style pattern, helping avoid snags somewhat. Patterns like the clouser minnow, crazy charlie, near-nuff crayfish, and the trouser worm can be helped by a slightly down turned hook eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a clouser minnow run hook up regardless because of the eyes?

HairyMooseKnuckles

It's my go to hook for a lot of the stuff I ty.

Beaker Bugs
Clousers
Cypert Minnows
Foam Minnows
Carp flies

I can't even think of everything at the moment

Back