Multi color small heads

Kdog

Most of my jig are 1/16 and smaller and tap painting these presents a real challenge to me. Yeah, I know patience and little bit at a time but it is still hard to do, Most of my success has come from using small stencils and even then, it is a 50:50 proposition to get the color combo I am shooting for.

So I am starting this thread in hopes that those that have mastered multi-colored small heads will share some secrets.

hookup

I'm no master, but I've gotten luck with putting small piles on a piece of paper & dipping just the tip of the jig into the paint.

I did a post some times ago on building a small screen tapping tool that could help.

Lastly, small paintbrushs

Kdog

hookup said:
I'm no master, but I've gotten luck with putting small piles on a piece of paper & dipping just the tip of the jig into the paint.

I did a post some times ago on building a small screen tapping tool that could help.

Lastly, small paintbrushs

Gotta look that one up. - Found it.. http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=8495&highlight=screen+tapping

I've tried the dipping into a pile/layer of paint and line is too clear, I really like the fade you get with tapping.

Fatman

Besides the cheap plastic handle brushs from Wally world I got some make up kit brush's and too from an Arts and Crafts store. The smaller make up brush's work well on the small jigs.
100_2936.jpg

Once you get some powder on the brush tap a bit to get the really heavy stuff off and it will be easier, you can always add more but you can't take it away.

LedHed

Sponsor
You'd be surprised KD on how small you can go with tapping.

I have a custom 1/64th & 1/48th CrazyAngler chub that I do with 4 paints. JungleJim has the 1/80th - not a lot of difference with the 1/64th. Takes a 3mm eye so there a whole lot of room for paint.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Think my biggest problem with tapping when it comes to small heads is trying to avoid getting paint on the hook. when you heat the head, hook gets hot just as fast. Ticks me off when i look down and have a bright orange hook point. If planning to do a large run, a quick wrap with a piece of foil over the hook saves me the headache.

On heads 1/32 or smaller it is super easy to add a single color eye using powder paint...... while the head is still hot, dip the point of a large 4" nail into the color you want and then touch it on the head. It may take a couple re-dips of the nail point into the paint to get enough to stick. For those little heads, just a single color dot for an eye works for me. The eye does NOT come off that way either.

I do go smaller, but the 1/24 size heads is becoming an all around favorite for me. Works well for most panfish.

Back