Mullet-head Poppers

jjsjigs

Banned
I call these mullet heads... like that trailer park trash haircut that was so popular in the 1980's. No offense to anyone who had a mullet, or a rusted out Firebird, and cranked Iron Maiden through crappy speakers. :D

2011-03-09_19-32-02_294.jpg

They are messy to make!! Look at my pile of clippings. It was all over my pants, carpet, shirt, hands, etc, etc.

2011-03-09_19-39-06_366.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
The head reminds me of a Pomeranian...What material bristles out like that, and is there a weighted head underneath?

jjsjigs

Banned
Hawn, they are unweighted on fly hooks. They are made to float on the topwater. You strip them back on the retrieve and they buck and dive under the water, then 'pop' back up to the surface. I use only Northern Whitetail deer belly hair. The Northern Bucks fur is very hollow and spins very easily. I'd be happy to make a tutorial on spinning and flaring deer hair. You don't need any specialized tools to spin the hair. Just strong thread like 210 denier, Gel Spun Poly thread, or Kevlar thread. (I like Kevlar the best). To trim and shape the hair... curved blade scissor work great (a luxury item) but you don't need them. A razor blade works well... I happen to own a set of Michex German tungsten bladed scissors that cuts through the deer hair like a hot knife through butter.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Was wondering why "Popper", that is a great looking functional tie, but I don't have time right now. On a jig, JJ2's coupla minutes rabbit fur + Flashabou get bit, so its KISS time for me.

Hmm, tungsten scissors....

jjsjigs

Banned
Because on a fly hook... they float and you "pop" them with a fast strip of your flyline is why I classify them as a "popper". A misnomer since ideally they would be considered more of a "diver".

On a jig... no "pops". LOL. Call 'em Mullet head jigs or whatever you want to name them.

Back