Muddy Water Smallmouth

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
101_1699_e.jpg

This is one of my favorite flies for spring time smallmouth in my river. I use the 1/80 barbell eyes to help get it down in what is usually higher than normal water levels and faster current in the spring. The one i took a pic of has been beat up some, the hackle doesn't look the best anymore.

This is an EBKS (everything but the kitchen sink) pattern on an either #2 or #4 aberdeen hook with the eye bent slightly... Tail has 2 colors of marabou and a little flash material, body has 2 colors of chenille twisted together then a hackle palmered over it. It is well worth the time spent tying though. ;)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
JJ1 - It probably would. I mostly go darker in mud and lighter in clear conditions, by old habbits. My river is still pretty clear right now, maybe next week i will have to get out - tie this one on & prove myself wrong. Will update on my results.

ScottV - I have one small local res. that it may work on (have caught them on brown feather/peacock body flies in the past) but i think i would not use the weighted eyes for crappie. The slower the fall seems to work out better for me.

LH - Have been thinking about doing a basic tutorial showing how to palmer, but maybe a simple bugger jig would be better...

Back