More Warmouth

JSC

My river has been down enough to get some decent fishing in the past 2 weeks .. Have not carried an ice chest to put fish in (just my small drink box) and have been catching the warmouth while bass fishing ... So this AM I went with the intention of catching my daughter and sone in law a mess of them .. I threw my 1/4 oz Finess spinner bait the whole time .. they did not bite as well as they had been (neap tide today which is all ways tough) I managed to catch them 37 and kept some bass for them for a change .. 5 .. I kept _ Limit .. and threw back 4 more.
View attachment 3

Attachments

• Box of Warmouhth.jpg
    Box of Warmouhth.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 114

Pup

JSC,

That is an incredibly nice mess of warmouth. :cool: I've never caught more than one or two during a fishing trip. Maybe that's due to a smaller abundance or I'm selecting the few larger ones in the lakes I've fished in my area. Usually nab them on 6-inch plastic worms.

Lemme guess, Lew's SG Graphite Rod and Daiwa Prolite Reel? I like that outfit. :icon14:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Impressive haul! Now they better invite you for the fish fry. :D

Side note..... i've called green sunfish 'warmouth' for more years than i can remember and never realized true warmouth is actually a separate species of sunfish all together. They must be aggressive little guys to be going after that size spinnerbaits.

JSC

They hit like a ton of bricks but pull like a powder puff.

You can hit certain types of water here on the river at the right time and they will eat hard .. This was a slower day .. had not kept any until yesterday (kept forgetting the ice chest . my live well is being used as a dry well).
The rod & reel combo is a golden oldie .. from the 80's .. the reel is a Diawa PS10 .. one of the cheapest they made at that time but turned out to be one of their best (Bushing reel) The rod is a Bruin 610ML43 (4' 3") Fiberglass/Graphite/Epoxy .. I designed it for the company I was working for (Bruin was a division I was in the wholesale end both out of Biz now Long story) NW Fl guys wanted a real River Rod and that was what I designed it for real accurate and easy to chunk a bait under the over hangs.
Here is the spinner Bait .. the skirt has been clipped real way by Jack fish and a lot of fish. Extra Light wire (Music Wire) Hi Vibration.
1/4 oz.
View attachment 8

Attachments

• FSpinnerBait.jpg
    FSpinnerBait.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 96

JSC

Got Back out today and the super high tide made me change my plans.
Tried around the edge of the bay awhile for Bass or Reds -0-
Went back to the warmouth hole ... no bass I Jack and 42 Warmouth.
I did try another color combo on them .. Texas Chicken (note the spring coil near the blade on the upper arm .. saw a wierd bend on a spinner bait in TU and thought about this .. I think some one made it before ? the coil will pick up debries. Would have stayed longer but rain clouds were building and I heard thunder so I cranked up and headed for the house .. Tide was running out good when I had to leave .. this afternoon should have been real good for where I had planned on going. Normaly I throw back 90% of what I catch but my daughter and son in law need a mess all a long and these hitting in numbers you get them while you can.
View attachment 3
View attachment 4

Attachments

• warmouth09 02 2014Big Sister.jpg
    warmouth09 02 2014Big Sister.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 75
  • CoilShaft14SpBait.jpg
    CoilShaft14SpBait.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 74

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I haven't seen a coil on the arm before. That's pretty neat. Does it work at catching the debris?

You got them warmouth cornered!

Pup

Nice mess of fish once again JSC. That spring-arm spinnerbait is interesting. :cool:

You sure sprang it on those warmouth! ;)

JSC

Just playing with the spring arm .. may take a larger blade to vibrate more.
Will keep yal updated. It will collect debries.

JSC

Back out today .. was going to fish a little further up river but water was still in the swamp so went back to where I have been catching the warmouth (some good bass in that stretch of water but are real finicky) ... I must be stuck on the low 40s for these babies .. 41 this time with 1 Shellcracker, 5 Jack (eastern Chain Pickerel) 3 Bass (2 keeper -- 1 throw back but I realesed them all) 1/4 oz spinner bait Shad color skirt .. I heard a few red fish were in at the lower end and was to worn out to go check them out .. So next week that will be my #1 project ... (I may have to fall back on the Warmouth Bite ) -- I dont know how long my son in law will take them -- needs to take them while the bite is on
;)

View attachment 5

Attachments

• warmouth09 11 2014Big Sister.jpg
    warmouth09 11 2014Big Sister.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 32

JSC

Quick note -- on the spring arm could never tell if it was any more vibes from it than the regular shaft .. lost it early today to a snag.

JSC

Super High Tide and Front moved thru gave them lock jaw today.
Did get some Redfish (5) 1 20 incher.
Below is a Shot of a portion of the stream the Warmouth (and some Bass ) have been coming from ..
View attachment 8

View attachment 9

Red Fish were caught down near the Bay about 6 miles or so from above (below)

Attachments

• Big SisterBank1.jpg
    Big SisterBank1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 19
  • Big SisterBank2.jpg
    Big SisterBank2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 19
  • RedSwimmer.jpg
    RedSwimmer.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 19

Lost Pole

Wonderful thread, reports and pictures. Your spots look like mine sorta, but I'd have to run a ways for the Reds. We call em goggle eyes and they're as feisty, lb for lb, as any fish on the river. Thx for sharing.

Back