More homemade jigs

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The discussion about upsizing jig weight for deepwater bluegill sparked my memory about something i have read before, think it was from In-Fisherman. The story had some info about a company (TC Tackle i think) that makes larger weight heads with smaller hooks. Well i decided to avoid the middle man and make my own. :idea:

I took some #10 regular aberdeen hooks (i do not pour so do not have jig hooks) and put a 90* bend in them. I then crimped a large round split shot on at the bend. The result is a jig that looks similar weight to a 1/16 but has a #10 hook. I did file the shot some to get a bigger gap and it now kinda looks like a mushroom shaped head. The top jig is what i made and the bottom is a normal (wally world) 1/16 jig that i usually use. Also since it's a regular aberdeen hook, has a flat eye, not sure what difference that would make.

101_1284_e.jpg

I made them yesterday on my lunch break, think the paint was still drying on the way to the lake after work, so had no time to tie any of them. I used crawler pieces threaded on the hook. Absolutley amazing how far i could cast these tiny little hooks!!! Was not in deep water but was nice to hit holes in the weeds farther out from shore with no trouble casting. Here was the reslut of 1.5 hours fishin... all over 8". I need to get me a box of #10's - i'm out!!!!

101_1286_e.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I got out today to try them in the "deep water" reservoir i had intended them for. They had good "feel" when jigging down on the bottom in the deep water so was happy. Only problem, the bluegill did not want to co-opperate with my advances. Instead, this was the result.... all were caught on these heads with a half night crawler as a tip - need to get tying some with some zonker tails. :D

101_1289_e.jpg

Myself and a friend also caught 4 small perch, 1 small bluegill and 1 bullhead. The scrawny walleye (suager... not sure which it was?) went 17.5" - can't believe i landed it on a #10 hook without a net!!! The red eye bass were right at 10" and i think my personal best for that species, can't remember ever catching one that size. Fun day, all in all, and i am hooked (sorry for the pun) on these new heads. Going to get me some more #10 & #8 aberdeen hooks tomorrow. :)

ScottV

Good job AtticaFish, love looking at pics of someone's success. I recognize the bluegill but we don't have the red-eye bass or walleye around here. Thanks for sharing.

JUNGLEJIM1

Great job. I pour some bigger heads on smaller hooks to fish deep,fast holes when trout fishing. Did some 1/24 on a #12 sickle but havn't tried them yet. Not very much room to tie once the heads are poured.

Back