more dirty gigs

moswampy

Dirty water forced me to change jig colors early today and I could not keep them off of it once I changed. Orange tail, chart bou, chart chennel, gold flash and orange head. 1/8th oz with a gold #1 hook. Two largest were 14" and 15" several 10" fish all withing a 20 yard area that I just started fishing. Wish the battery did not conk out at that time but it has already been replaced.

P1020788.jpg

tied up a few extra in varying colors to test and a crawdad styled jig for a buddy to take on a float trip.

hunter7711

I really like those. You fishin Smithville? Origionally from St. Joe. I went to Smithville for 2 years prior to it being inpounded, took over 2000 pictures, and used to have over 200 SECRET brushpiles marked. I used to chase the Green Carp. I think my EX might still have all of it......LOL. Good luck gettin it.

moswampy

hunter7711 said:
I really like those. You fishin Smithville? Origionally from St. Joe. I went to Smithville for 2 years prior to it being inpounded, took over 2000 pictures, and used to have over 200 SECRET brushpiles marked. I used to chase the Green Carp. I think my EX might still have all of it......LOL. Good luck gettin it.

yeah that is where I am fishing grew up fishing that lake. When gas was cheap and I had only one kid we quit fishing there and went to Truman all the time. Now with higher fuel prices and a third child I am back to fishing Smithville a lot. You would not recognize the lake now. shoreline has changed due to boat traffic and many of the trees a fella used to navigate at 70mph upriver are at or right below normal pool surface. I went upriver to twin coves this past year for the first time in probably 8 years and did not recognize it. Fishing is getting better since the issues in the mid 90's. There is some grass returning and the lake now has a great shad base. Quite a few good fish esp crappie being caught in the lake. Not sure about the green fish population but I don't think it takes 30lbs to win a three hour Thursday tourney anymore.

hunter7711

Let me see if this spot is still anygood. Line up the golf course point with the largest tree on the course, go to the other side of the lake. You should hit a channel about 18 ft. deep. That whole drop used to hold fish, but go toward the dam and you will find another creek channel coming in from the shore. This 3 corner drop used to be a guaranteed limit in 15 minutes. It should also hold a lot of crappie just because the way it lays. Let me know if you find it, and if is worth a ****. I hope to come back to St. Joe to visit family in Nov. Doubt if I'll pull my boat up there.

moswampy

I troll that area when the wind is out of the SW and the shad are pushed up there. Can get a few walleye, whites and crappie on an easy troll. have to be wary it can get shallow on you fast on that side. Will have to see if the crappie have moved back main lake. Still surface temps of 85 and thermocline more than 20ft deep. Fish have been off and on patterns weekly and the mainlakers have been TOUGH.

Back