Mold Purchase!

jig-guy

Purchased a Hilts mold model TOUT-M. They said to use a EC570H hook. Guess what the hooks would not fit:huh:. I wanted to use the jigs with the heavy hook so I altered the mold. I even had to make a slot for the hook points:huh:. The 2 halves of the mold don't even line up nice:mad:. No more Hilts for me & almost $11.00 for shipping one mold w/no hooks.
I will be making some jigs with the altered mold and see how they come out. The jigs will be for saltwater thats why I wanted the heavy hook.
I will follow up after the jigs are poured.
TL
jig-guy / Bill

Fatman

Did you buy this mold used???? I know with hilts molds sometimes if someone drops it, the bar in the hinged end gets bent a little throwing off the alignment. Sometimes you can knock it out and put a new pin through it.

Can you post a pic of the inside of the mold??? and a pic of the mold closed with the sprue holes??

You should be able to close the mold (no hooks) and only see a few pinpoints of light looking through the sprue holes.

As far as the hooks you shouldn't of had to modify the mold for a heavy wire hook that's what it calls for. Not trying to be a smart ass but what's the model number on the side of the mold??? For a Tout Head it should show Tout - ??? depends on which one you got.

JSC

Sounds like you must have a bad mold if it will not line up ... I have all ways (knock on wood) had good luck with Hilts molds.

LedHed

Sponsor
What weight is the mold Bill? Not lining up is not good. What are you trying to pour? Hilt's molds don't have a lot to work with for a mold mod.

toadfrog

I've only had about five Hilts molds in my life . Didn't care for any one of them , so I can kind of agree . No hilts for me unless I can get them for three bucks or so.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The 570H I think is a bronze fresh water hook? I've seen this head in HI cast with 635s, tho my choice would be 413 for salt water. PM me if you want a few 413s to look at. One advantage of 413s is they are bend adjustable to fit.

Misaligned halves are annoying - I've got a few Do-its that are a bit off but the effect on the castings is functionally minor.

Hilts work OK but overall Do-its seem more user friendly.

Back