Mold modification

SlabHappy

Has anyone modified their own RR mold to accept eyes? I got a pic from LedHead, and was curious if anyone else has modified their own? I took it to a machine shop, but he didn't seem interested. I was going to drill them out with a drill press with a 12 gauge bit for 1/8" dowel pins for 3mm eyes and 30 gauge bit for 3/16 pins for 4mm eyes. The bits are slightly larger than the pins. I was curious if anyone has tried driling out about the same size hole, and hammering the slightly larger SS pin in the aluminum mold? Was thinking with a little larger hole, I could use jb weld to hold in place. I ordered the pins and bits a couple days ago, and might try this weekend. Just was curious if anyone has any insight from their own experience? Was also going to do my 1/16, 1/8th round mold as well.

Kdog

Gonna follow this thread closely as this is almost exactly what I was gonna do, my plan is 1/8" Drill and Brass Rod for 3mm eye
3/16 drill and Brass Rod for 4mm eye and 7/32 drill and brass rod for 5mm eye.

Gonna cut my brass pinn long, chuck in a drill and put a slight taper on the end for the eye mostly just break the sharp corner with emery cloth with the pin chucked in a drill. Then depending on fit, use a pliers to raise a slight knurl on pin body and press in place.
If they start to loosen will use high temp loctite to lock them but I think the knurl will be fine with the slip fit. I have most of my materials gathered but gotta cast a couple hundred heads before moving forward.

Jig Man

You might call Crazy Angler, I don't think he does the work any more, but he will know how. Betcha Redman has some insight as well. I'm sure there are others....

hookup

I modify almost all of my molds with a carbite bit & and a dremel. Just take off the metal slowly, pour, then take more if needed.\

And the times I've f'd up, JB weld fixes it for another try.

Kdog

I know that with a new bit and good coolant, my drilled hole will be .001-.002 o/s, my brass rods are all measuring .002 - .003 o/s
so with the knurl should not need help. But I got a big bottle of red loctite just in case.

SlabHappy

I thought about just trying to drill the hole the depth of the dowel pin. I think I ordered from McMaster 3/4" pins, 1/8" and 3/16" dis for 3mm and 4mm eyes.

SlabHappy

justcameslabdaddy said:
Why don't you just flated them with plier stick them on?

Tried that. Doesn't really work good with ponies. Plus, I always seem to get them a little crooked.

SlabHappy

That does. What size is that? 1/8? with 5mm eyes? just curious what size pins you used? I think I am going to do my pony and round head with 1/8 and 3/16 pins for 3mm and 4mm eyes.

Bucko

I have a flathead jig mold I would like modified to accept 3d eyes. I don't have the experience, tools, or time to do it myself. I would hire this out of anyone is interested in making a few bucks. jigs range from 1/4 to 3/4 ounce. I would obviously pay for return shipping also. I gotta get a couple hundred of these poured and tied by the end of March, so while not to sound like a jerk, id need it done sooner than later.

toadfrog

Fast way ! Find a pop rivet that matches the size of your eye .Measure the rivet tang . Drill your mold hole to match on one side . Close it and use the drilled hole for a guide drilling the other side. Then reverse the pin in your rivet so it pulls against the flat head . Stick her though the mold pop it in . I've done this to several molds without issue . Finding the exact center of your jig head takes the longest . But all and all you are done in less than an hour start to finish.

SlabHappy

Thanks for everyones input. I received my pins today and my drill bits. 3/4" pins are a little longer than I thought. I am going to just have to drill all the way through. Probably try to modify this weekend. Have my second rod to tie up the eyes on, just finished epoxying the handle on.

redman

Toad that is the easy way. I think that you could turn a rivet that you could run all the way thur the mold and then peen the end to keep it in place. Dang that does sound like a lot of work. Having nothing more to do I built a attachment for my press that does what Ron Don has done with his ball heads. I like a little bigger head and thinner. It weighs the same you don't lose any thing to the eye. When you are talking about gram weight don't think it would matter all that much. It still sinks down to where the fish are. Rate of fall might be a second or two difference.

Redman

jbdesigns

sorry to bring this post from the past.
i joined this site for this reason right here, i've been searching for weeks to find something very similar to the pics posted by ron don
can someone send me a pm or post here is they have been making these jigs, i'd really like to purchase some
thanks

LedHed

Sponsor
Welcome jb - no worries about bringing up old posts. I enjoy rereading the info and nice to get more info if possible...

Junglejim might have a CA mold for that. Not sure if Jacob's is doing eye molds.

Back