Modified bobbin for larger spools

AndyLane

To avoid having to transfer a bunch of thread on bigger spools to smaller ones I started to try to make a bobbin for bigger spools. I then thought it might be easier to modify a bobbin I already had.
View attachment 4

I removed the black hood and drilled a hole in the bottom of a 35mm film canister.
View attachment 5

I used my dremmel to smoothly cut out part of one side.
View attachment 6

I put the spool on and put the metal shaft through the hole in the canister, added a washer then threaded the nut on.
View attachment 7

Then just put the thread through the shaft. I use a piece of 10lb test with a loop to tye thread to then push and pull it through. The nut on top controls the tension on the spool.
View attachment 8

I know it is way easier to just "Buy" tying thread, tools and other supplies but nowadays unless its food,diapers,clothes or gas the word "Buy" is not often in my vocabulary. Besides Macgyver was my Idol as a kid. :D I always joke and say.. I'm like Macgyver; give me a piece of gum, a shot of whisky and a can of Spam...BAM somethin is blowin up :p

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 122

Fatman

Excellent Andy!!!!!!!!! But make sure to keep the other part, I've seen some of those bobbins go for good bucks on Ebay!!! there's nothing wrong with using that thread just watch the tension you put on it. You could wax it but if you're easy on it and then coat it after you're done tying you'll be fine!!! Mom's loss is your gain!!!!!!!!

redman

Nice job Andy. Necessity is the Mother of invention. A true boy of the backwoods doing what needs to be done with what is available. And that's not Redneck.

Redman

hookup

AndyLane said:
I'm like Macgyver; give me a piece of gum, a shot of whisky and a can of Spam...BAM somethin is blowin up

Ferment the Spam

Stick the can to a wall w/ the chewing gum

Sit back, drink the shot of whisky & enjoy the explosion.

Luv it.

Good job on the bobbin too.

Pup

I like your modification. :cool: :icon14: :icon14:

Where did you find a bobbin like that? If you don't mind my asking.

AndyLane

Pup said:
I like your modification. :cool: :icon14: :icon14:

Where did you find a bobbin like that? If you don't mind my asking.

That bobbin is an old one. My dad bought a little box of fly tying stuff at an estate sale years ago. I think maybe even before I was born and I'm 34. He gave me the box last year when I told him I wanted to start tying dressed treble hooks. There was that bobbin, a couple old bodkins and a thompson whip finisher. The old vise that I remember being in there must of lost its way sometime over the years cause it was gone.

redman

Pup think that that was a Herter's Bobbin. IF my feeble mind serves me right it was a # 10 . I have two or three that I use on occasion . Not easy to thread but are not bad to tie with.

Redman

Back