Miniature Crawdads

dblevens

I like the crawdad in the other thread, but I"m wondering if anyone has tried smaller crawdad jigs for crappie? I clean lots of em with crayfish in their bellies, but I wouldn't know where to start to tie one on say #4 hook .

Pup

I'm about to start tying crayfish on 1/8-oz. ball jigs with #2 sickle hooks. Later, I may attempt 1/16-oz. ball jigs with #4 sickles for trout. My examples follow.

hankcrays007.jpg

These are Hank Roberts crayfish flies which were tied and sold commercially years ago. Some can still be found for sale on the web. Each is tied on a #4 hook having an upturned eye. A flattened dumbbell eye weights the fly at its tail. Bodies are formed of chenille yarn and leather.

I purchased some leather recently at the Tandy Leather Factory Store. Hope to begin tying a few very soon.

Mine will be used for bass and trout fishing. Might possibly cast them to a few larger redear sunfish too.

dblevens

Very cool. I bet those will work great. I wonder about the hook n the bottom though, looks like it would hang up alot if you drag it across logs and stuff. I'm gonna have to try and tie something similar.

dblevens

Well, heres my first ever attempt at a crawdad. 1/16 jig, with olive chenille and hackle. Black rubber off an old spinnerbait. Took pliers and mashed a roundhead jig on both sides to simulate a flat tail.

Attachments

• 100_2017.JPG
    100_2017.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 121

dblevens

Fatman said:
Not bad, but you might want to think of something stronger for the claws.

YOu're probably right. Just using stuff I got laying around. I'm wanting to try for a few crappie with em, if I could catch 5 or 6 with it, I'll check into getting something stronger.

JUNGLEJIM1

Really like the head,might try to mash a few myself. The claws should be fine,I tie a lot of craws using hackle for claws. I'd lookfor hackle with thicker stems,more durable and has good action in the water.

Pup

dblevens said:
Well, heres my first ever attempt at a crawdad. 1/16 jig, with olive chenille and hackle. Black rubber off an old spinnerbait. Took pliers and mashed a roundhead jig on both sides to simulate a flat tail.

That is a good-looking tie. A nice, simple design which will work well on fish that are crayfish feeders.

Well done! :cool:

Fatman

Ok, of all places to get an idea was from my Dad who doesn't fish. He called asking for me to pick up some Shammys from the flea market. They're mad in Germany and only coast a buck a piece for really big ones (he cuts them in fours). Once their broke in they could be cut and colored with permanent sharpies.

toadfrog

dblevens buddy I got some trimmings from spinner skirts you could use for legs and such . Be willing to send them 1'' to 3'' ain't noth'in like free .

Back