mini (or micro) ultra chenille

jiggerjohn

Recently I've started tying (just a simple double knot over the hook bend) about a 2" section of mini ultra chenille on a jig hook or at the rear of a jigging Microspoon. It looks like a very minature version of a wacky rigged worm/senko. But on any forward movement, and especially during the pause&drop, this very thin worm like material wiggles like a maddened live redworm!!This stuff comes in a variety of interesting colors and my jigs,tipped with it, have recently called in big numbers of crappies, bluegills, bass, and others! They can't seem to resist it. In fact this late afternoon on a terrible bright,windy post front day a purple chenille worm on the back of my jigs got me bunches of some of the biggest bluegills I've seen in quite a while!! And if ya can tie your shoe laces (even I learned by the time I was 16!!!) ya can tie this "weenie worm"!

CK3

JiggerJohn, Ya know it's funny, but clever minds must run together!!!
I was sitting at my tying station tonight and was wondering what to
try different. I've used a lot of small thin plastics ice fishing with great success, so I thought why not tye a piece of ultra chenille at the end of the hook to simulate a redworm. Tied up a few with tobacco brown and
insect green chenille. I also use a lot of senkos bass fishing. I really like the idea of using a bigger piece of chenille to represent a senko!!!
That will be tomorrow's challenge!! Thanks Jigger for the idea!!! I'll try to put up some pics after I tie them
up.

jiggerjohn

Jungle Jim, You see a pic of the chenille worm tie itself at the very bottom of this article ; http://flytyingworld.com/members-detail-114-fredbridge.html.

CK3, as you read the above story, it was Fred Bridge who gave me the idea for the "worm",from his "Infamous Pink Worm" pattern which has caught him everything-even big bass & steelhead, but I've found for jigging you need to step the material down - the MINI or micro sized ultra chenille gives the really wiggly action when double knotted to the rear of a jig!(the double knot ,rather than a tie, spreads the 2 one half inch "legs" out so they don't tangle and wiggle apart).

Some years ago I was fascinated with Fred Bridge's original "green weenie" and talked to him about tying this as a jig. Fred told me the history but mentioned how the Infamous Pink Worm may be better. It wasn't till lately when I made & used jigs that actually rocked & shook that I thought about tying on the chenille! So,in honor of Fred, I just say I'm adding a "weenie" to my jig! OK, I have an appointment with some very big bluegill this morning- off to play with my weenie!!!

flatsrat76

jiggerjohn said:
Jungle Jim, You see a pic of the chenille worm tie itself at the very bottom of this article ; http://flytyingworld.com/members-detail-114-fredbridge.html.

CK3, as you read the above story, it was Fred Bridge who gave me the idea for the "worm",from his "Infamous Pink Worm" pattern which has caught him everything-even big bass & steelhead, but I've found for jigging you need to step the material down - the MINI or micro sized ultra chenille gives the really wiggly action when double knotted to the rear of a jig!(the double knot ,rather than a tie, spreads the 2 one half inch "legs" out so they don't tangle and wiggle apart).

Some years ago I was fascinated with Fred Bridge's original "green weenie" and talked to him about tying this as a jig. Fred told me the history but mentioned how the Infamous Pink Worm may be better. It wasn't till lately when I made & used jigs that actually rocked & shook that I thought about tying on the chenille! So,in honor of Fred, I just say I'm adding a "weenie" to my jig! OK, I have an appointment with some very big bluegill this morning- off to play with my weenie!!!

Its so nice to hear that you are so fascinated and passionate about weenies:D Good read but the links not working :p

wtex

Interesting. I have the ultra in quite a few colors. I use it when I do weaves. I will have to try this. Thanks.
But, I out grew play'n with my weenie years ago.

Back