Mini Ice Spoons

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily 'jigs' but i fish them pretty much the same vertical style through the ice or below my kayak in summer.  Can also use them pegged under a float just as easily.  These are all small lightweight spoons that i added solder to the back of to add some extra weight and then i powder coated.  The extra weight comes in handy on the ice when you want to get down to fish on the finder quickly.  Added on a #12 or #10 treble to a few and then going to add on single dropper hooks on a few others.  Hopefully be using these soon....... ice is building here finally.  :icon14:

View attachment 3

Attachments

• 20190115_231508.jpg
    20190115_231508.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 5

hookup

Ice ... brrrr

Nice job on the spoons - good luck with them

duffy

Excellent paint job's AF, should haul some in. A guy could even throw one of those red flippers on in place of the small blades for some extra variety.

AllenOK

I have a buddy that uses small spoons like this in deep, open water during the Summer to target Bluegill. Cast it out, count it down, then do a twitching retrieve. He prefers a single hook on a split ring, instead of a treble. At these sizes, that's usually an Orvis "big eye" fly hook. I can't remember what the model # for that hook is.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the comments everyone. I do have some both ways, trebles and singles. Also have a bunch with single dropper hooks. The singles seem to work good with bluegill, but i have lost a lot of crappie with those. I think the trebles keep crappie hooked up a little better. I do hate how the get tangled up though. I have them all hooked int a piece of foam and in a separate box of my Plano ice gear. Got out on the ice yesterday but only tiny bluegill to show for it. Not a lot of available ice yet, but should be plenty more by the weekend. :cool:

duffy

Sounds like some serious ice building weather is heading your way but I sure as shootin would not want to be out there during that weather if it's going to be as cold as they forcast. :D

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yes indeed, the cold weather is here. Only 13° now and spose to drop through the day. Wind chill could drop down as low as -40°. Don't think i've ever seen that before.

I don't mind using my hand auger, it is a 6" Nils and cuts the ice very easy. But if it builds over 10" or 12" i might have to break out the heavy as hell 8" gas auger. I hand cut 50 or 60 holes on Saturday and Sunday.... but the fishing down right sucked. Only brought home 3 fish. Hopefully do a little better this weekend. But then they are calling for 50° and rain on Monday...... WTH???

Uncle Grump

Hey there Russ....

House thermometer said -18F this morning, supposed to hit some where in the -30 to -35 range tonight, before the wind chill, and that could drive things down in to the -60 range overnight. Now if we can make it to Saturday, the temp is forecast to 37F with some rain...... Go figure.....

Just to keep this a little on topic - hit the ice two weeks ago - managed 1 small sunfish. Maybe on Sunday.

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
UG - I saw how low it was supposed to go up there. No thanks! I'm assuming our kids might be done with school for the week. Are your schools up there still open on days like that? My goofball kids won't wear a coat to school, they claim their lockers are not big enough. My daughter (16 today) was planing on walking out the door in a short sleeve t-shirt before my wife said.... you might want to put a sweatshirt on.
haha. Going to get back in the teens on Friday and already thinking i may need to skip out of work early to at least get a few hours on the ice before sundown.

tacklebox2tn

Did you get the blades with holes in both ends or did you have to drill the hole in one end. Great colors, but I don't have the skill to powder paint like that. Right now in Wis. we have -52 wind chill.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
tacklebox2tn said:
Did you get the blades with holes in both ends or did you have to drill the hole in one end. Great colors, but I don't have the skill to powder paint like that. Right now in Wis. we have -52 wind chill.

These are the actual spoons with holes on each end. Think they came from Hagen's. I put a little more pronounced bend in them and then add solder to the back side to add a little weight. They work OK with out the extra added weight in shallow water. Used to punch an extra hole on a willow blade and turn it into a spoon. Still have a few of those left.

Fished hard on the ice for 3 days and my body is feeling it this morning,. haha Getting old. Took half a day off work Friday..... walked 3 miles on the harbor, hand drilled probably 30 holes through 10" of ice, caught 3 fish, brought home 1 stinking bluegill. Rough day. Oh well - win some loose some. Did a little better on Saturday and Sunday, at least put a meal worth of bluegill and crappie in the freezer. Now today it is going to hit 50°. Just might be done on the ice for the year.

Back