Mid-Winter Report

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
No ice........ :( :mad: :( :mad: :beat-up: I WILL take a trip North if the Jet Stream doesn't dip down here soon. So far it sounds like i have to drive about 4 hours North into Michigan to find 'iffy' ice at 4 to 8 inches thick. I will do it if it looks like we won't get a shot of cold air here soon. Never know.

Closest i have gotten to 'ice fishing' so far...

100_4293_e.jpg

...this was from the past weekend. Had mid 40 degree temps on Saturday and i broke the yak out at the hometown reservoir for a scouting trip. Got to the reservoir and half of it was froze over with skim ice. Hard to see in the picture, but here is ice out there. :rolleyes: Bunch of bites - a fish hooked up for a few seconds - but nothing landed.

New River Territory
Took a drive today out along my smallmouth river to do some scouting. With al the leaves off the trees and brush, you can see alot farther down to the river from the road.

100_4325_e.jpg

On the downside, i did see there is some kind of construction on the opposite side of the river from one of my favorite holes....

100_4307_e.jpg

If the land owner has rights to BOTH side of the river in this section.... i will not be aloud to wade the river here. :( I would make an effort with the landowner to get permission, but that would be up in the air.

On the UP-SIDE: I found an area that will be new stomping ground for me. A little ways North of my normal lunch break fishing grounds i found out that a brigde has been closed...

100_4306_e.jpg

I have wanted to fish this area for years, but there was never any place to park a car. The East side was always marked as 'Private Property' and the West side has several houses butted up against the river. I will be parking my car right at the foot of that road closed sign until someone tells me otherwise. :cool: One of the houses that is along the river looks abandoned also so think i can get access now!!! Here is the view looking South off of the bridge...

100_4300_e.jpg

Holy sh!t i can not WAIT until summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might hit this area a few times in the spring but it will most likely be highwater then and i will wait to do most of my exploring till mid to late summer when the river levels usually get lower.

Water is crystal clear right now and is a beautiful blue green. During warmer months it is more of a yellow green color with the vegitation growing on the bedrock but winter months is a diferent color...

100_4317_e.jpg

One last 'artsy' type of pic....

100_4314_e.jpg

StumpHunter

Great looking places to fish. It's good to hear you found some new water to try and that bridge looks like the perfect place to park!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
New spot not fish-able now?

Sort of.........

Out of old habit i get the thought that i have to wait till spring. The section of this river that i normaly fish is by far more shallow and pretty much all bedrock riverbed... all but the smallest fish migrate out of that area over winter. This looks like it might be in general deeper so this could be a section that those other fish move into for the winter.

The bank on the left with the farm field behind is the place where there are several 'No Trespass' signs hung so i would have to fish from the other shore. Hard to tell in the picture but there is a very steep drop down to the water on most of that shore so it would be pretty tough to just cast from shore... almost have to get down in the water. I don't mind fishing in cold weather but having to wade through nearly freezing water does get rough and my waders are NOT thermal. :p Would have to be a sunny day without any wind... but i just may give it a shot.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Only a fisherman would complain about not having enough Ice and Cold....

I have a new auger, shanty and shorty ice rod that were christmas presents that i haven't got to try out yet!!! Well.... the kids like the shanty as i have set it up a few times inside the house to get used to setting it up. :rolleyes:

If it was my choice, we would live in ND or MN... if it was my wifes choice, we would live in TX or FL. I guess Ohio is a happy medium. :p Pretty sure i will be driving north on a weekend here very soon to knock the 'new smell' off of my toys - they need to smell like fish!

Back