Micro Light Baitcasters

papaperch

Been busy last couple weeks with building some baitcaster rods and redoing one that Nick Ready built for me

First up is the redo on the Nick Ready rod. The rod was broken at about 8 inches from the tip. It was enclosed in a rod wrapper and was in a towed boat. When I got home discovered it had broke by flopping around in the wind. Anyway took the micro light guides off and installed regular Fuji's .
The reel is a Pinnacle VS 5 and is one of the smallest baitcasters avialable. The rod itself is built upon an American Tackle 6' - 6 " #2 wt fly rod blank.

Next up is my red rod an 8'-0 American Tackle Matrix # 3 wt fly rod blank.
Reel is a Daiwa Pixy which is also very small reel.

Finally is the gold rod a 9'-0 American Tackle Matrix # 3 wt fly rod blank. Reel once again a Daiwa Pixy in the Sunburst color.

I have never used foam grip before always cork. But since these two are going to be spending a lot of time in rod holders. After researching
about it decided to go with the EVA foam handles. Used some trim pieces to fancy up the handles some because the foam looks so drab in comparison to cork. The 8 and 9 footers are going to be primarily used for " pull fishing " in conjunction with the Terrova I-link following the contour feature. To give you an idea on rods about 3/16 oz is about the maximum load I would use..

I played with the 9 footer a little on neighbors pond. Was pleasantly surprised at how well it casted.Just using a 3/4 "round bobber for weight. Wasn't built with casting in mind just trolling but it will handle it no problem.As far as fishing it handled 1-4 inch bluegill with aplomb. LOL

If weather gives us a break will take out on night trip. I just know one of those whisker faced fellas will give it a REAL test.

papaperch

Yep they were built with crappie , perch and gill in mind. But I have this talent ? curse ? dumb luck ? family tradition ?

Of catching catfish regardless of bait and tactics being used. Flatheads , Blues , Channels and lock jaw Bullheads they all adore me. I have caught some HUGE catties on really light tackle. Of course I have lost some HUGE catties on really light tackle.

I think my family has cursed me. Grandfathers both sides loved all catfish. My dad loved them all except for bullheads. All 3 loved to needle and tease while fishing. I think this is their payback. For when I was chunking rocks in the water whilst they were trying their best to teach me to fish.

Pup

I do like those rods. :cool: Have EVA foam handles on a couple of my older Team Daiwa Rods that I revere.

papaperch said:
The reel is a Pinnacle VS 5 and is one of the smallest baitcasters avialable.

Bought my first VS5 back in the late 90s. A poor man's Calcutta 50 (Shimano) or so I was told. Fun reel to fish with. Easy to palm and lightweight. Occasionally, the spool won't free completely during a cast and the reel makes a horrible ratcheting sound. Bought another in 2004 that does exactly this same thing. I figure that one or the other will become available for spare parts at some point.

Like to fish them on 5 to 6' casting rods. My favorite is an older 2-piece Galyan's Performance Series 5' 6" IM6 Rod. Haven't been able to find any newer rods of similar length and action, even at 5 or more times the price, that are comparable to it. I browse eBay frequently to hunt for another one.

Back