metalic gold glitter head

redear

well ya'll know I ain't worth a hoot posting pics but I gotta tell you'uns about a gold sparkle painted jighead. I have been trying to come up with a gold paint that I liked and have tried plenty of powder paints including golden chub, and also adding gold glitter to clear vinyl, but nothing gave me what I was looking for, then the lightbulb came on, lol. I took the 3/32 jighead and dipped it in clear vinyl allowing as much to drip off as possible the I took cs systems gold glitter in the 1oz. bottle and sprinkled it all over the wet jighead until completely covered, and tapped the pliers holding the head a few times to shake loose any excess, then I stuck it into the edge of a cardboard box to dry. So the whole jighead is completely covered in gold glitter and looks beatiful! then the next day I dipped the head in clear vinyl again, after several days I can still feel some texture so I think it will need another dip in the clear, but I goota tell ya, this is what I was looking for in a gold jighead. A friend of mine asked me for some hair jigs with a gold sparkly head because he had a couple that someone gave him and they really caught the crappies. His jigs had a blaze orange threadneck and dark brown kiptail with fire orange kiptail accents down the sides. I found a couple more bottles of the cs glitter on ebay and bought them. I used a box top to contain the sprinkled glitter, whatever you do don't do this in the house as my glitter made a mess out in the shop when a breeze blew through there, that stuff just floats in the air, the polyester glitter does anyway, redear

hookup

Nice.

Whenever I head blink & jig heads I think of chicks and their nails.

Here's something that might be worth a try

http://winkofstella.com/glitter-sets/christmas-sparkle-glitter-brush-set

My friends a painter and has done some gilding work on walls to match accents of furniture for some of the richies. He has a gallon bucket of gold, bronze, and silver glitter that he said I could have some .... but never have taken him up on the offer. The glitter was not cheap, but if you're doing them for retail, may be better than a 1 oz bottle?

Fatman

If you want you can send the pic to my regular email and I can post it for you.

This is the glitter I've really gotten to like from Nicole Crafts - the one on the end is gold irridescent and it works in clear powder or epoxy
100_4709.jpg

This is Jaquards PearlEx Solar gold, it comes in their Series 1 pack, 12 different colors. It's a mica powder I mix with clear powder paint 1/8 of a teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of clear. It has a nice sparkle to it and it says you can mix it with any medium you want.
100_5340.jpg

redear

Doug, PM me youre email again, and when I get home tonite I'll try to remember to take the pic. Doing it the way I tried it, there is alot more flash than adding it to a clear, and I have seen flash jigs tied with kreinik gold and silver flash on a plain head outfish colors quite a few times, in fact when I go fishing with my buddy nowadays I always give him a few jigs to hold him over and he has been asking for the flash jigs lately, we catch crappies etc. fishing kiptail 1/32 jigs under a small bobber with a crappie nibble on the hook and the flashy jigs have been producing the bigger crappies here lately.

redear

and yeah buying the 1oz. glitter bottles is expensive so I would need to try and get it cheaper if this was to become a go to jig. I suspect some of these other glitter brands may do alright too as long as the vinyl clear gloss doesn't craze or haze the reflective quality of it, the glitter is not in contact with the wet clear very long before it dries though. I would stay with the finest glitter I could find though as the fine stuff doesn't add any more bulk to the head than a couple layers of paint, I could see a courser glitter possibly bulking a 1/32 jig up too much. Just getting started in this thing and haven't had much spare time with working and all, and all the rain lately has barred me from using the clear vinyl because when it is humid outside the clear will haze over, so I'm waiting for the rain to move out.

hookup

You motivated me redear - was at my buddies house & got some copper to try. It's as fine as powder paint. Buddy mixes it with urethane, then paints with it stiring constantly

redear

I just put a coat a coat of clear gloss over five of these jigheads today. these things have some great flash and they sparkle it's not a steady flash but a sparkle, I know they will do well on the crappies. fatman sent me his email and when I get the chance I will try to send him a few pics from my phone.

CrappieHappy

sounds like a good one, I found a decent gold as well, but don't know the name or manufacturer, it is for commercial Powder coating.

mjs

I do something similar, but I heat the jig, apply just clear powder paint, and then swish the jig, still hot, through glitter. Apply topcoat and done. They look exactly like the Northland disco jigs.

redear

A jig just like the one in the top pic caught many many yellow perch over a pound a couple months ago for a friend of mine, he was spider rigging for crappies when he and his dad found them in 4 feet of water in a big cove, they were putting a minnow on the back of the jigs.

redear

I glitter coated about 40 more heads yesterday and went over them again today with clear. I wonder if this glitter will work with one of those air actuated pots like ya'll use with powder paints? has anyone here done this? if so I would buy one, I need it for powder paint anyway.

Fatman

If you made your own bases and got the top cups from TJ's tackle - he has the pourous hard filters glued in the cups. Mine work good and I traded Led for some of the fine mesh he had. I've switched the brass air stem in my small beds but you have to watch the glitter it can swirl out.

I'll have to give it a try again to see if it gets any better using the glitter in the fluid bed.

redear

Fatman, I ordered a fluid bed from tj's the other night with a total of three cups, I'll be doing some experimenting. I think only using enough air to loosen the glitter up a little will be sufficient, but if it's a disaster I'll just use it for the powder paints. I also ordered some more glitter from tj's, some green and some silver and I think some more gold if I remember right. I have always had good luck leaving a jighead unpainted while tying the rest of the jig with kiptail, the flash from the lead works well for catching fish, and I have been using some gold and silver kreinik flash for the entire jig alot here lately using red thread around the neck, and these have caught alot of fish as of late, so I know this flash thing works very well especially for crappies. I have had plenty of days where the fish wouldn't touch anything until I put a flash jig on there, and then we would get some action.

redear

oh yeah, one of the colors I ordered was chartruese for the glitter, yellow chart is what the pic looked like.

Fatman

Sounds good but I've always tapped a mix with the glitter, or a clear coat with the glitter. Gonna have to try it again in the fluid bed.

Back