Mess of V-spinners

Fatman

Besides tying today I broke out the wire and made up a mess of V-spinner frames.
100_2634.jpg

Fatman

Yeah I've loved fishing those things since I first saw them on the Virgil Ward show!!! Even have the original Johnson reel he used, was the first reel I ever bought!!!! Been using them ever since and once I learned how to make them liked em even more.

hookup

You bend them yourself? If so, how? What tools you using?

smalljaw

hookup said:
You bend them yourself? If so, how? What tools you using?

There are a lot of tools you can use, the Twist Tech wire former is getting good reviews, and there are the old standbys like the Hagens wire former and the Boggs Tackle maker. I don't use the clip on wire forms, I bend "R" bend spinnerbait wire forms that get cast in to a spinnerbait head and for those I use a product called The Little Blue Bender and then I use a round nose pliers to form swivel loops and hook bends. You could make the spinner jig wire forms like Fatman did with a round nose pliers but they wouldn't look as good or be as consistant. Very nice work Fatman, you look to have the wire forming skill matered as those are very professional looking.

Hippel

Nice work, Fatman! Those are very clean looking spinners.

I'm about to learn how to bend wire as well. I have a friend who does it and has offered to teach me. A lot of redfish guys down here use spinnerbaits in murky water. I ordered a wire bender. It should be a fun Winter project!

Fatman

Thanks guys.

Actually my former for doing these is the Worth Hand wire former, for most of it but 2 bends I do with needle nose. All the pics I see on the web don't really show the part I use to do it so I'll take a pic tonight and post it. The only other wire former I have is the original Netcraft wire former.

Smalljaw I've been making spinners since the late 80's, back then the Netcraft former was $8 bucks with the instruction book!!! If anyone buys a Janns Netcraft wire former get the one with the BOOK!!!!!! it shows how to use it and how to make lots of different stuff.

hookup

Very nice work FM.

I've made spinnerbaits before, but bought the wire forms. They are to thick & large for what I want. Buddy has a Shawn Collins hidden weight mold which I borrow from time to time. I want one, but can't afford 300 bones for a spinnerbait mold.

I'm looking to make a small spinnerbait this year. Use to buy them off of Butch Neil, but he's no longer in the buiz. Sampo swivels (Made in the US - yeah, I'm a sucker for that label), small mouth colors (white & chart), and light wire.

I've been looking at the little blue bender. Now, I'll take another look at Jann's because of the instruction book.

Thanx for all the options.

Fatman

For spinner bait wires I think you're gonna like the Little blue bender better as that's one of its main functions.

Here's the pic of the part of the hand former used to make the bends
100_2650.jpg

I made a similar one out of an old screwdriver handle and some nails but it's still not as good as the one above for the bends in the vspinner.
100_0802.jpg

Fatman

I wish!!!!!! That's my living room, whenever I work on tackle I have to take it out and when done pick it all up and put it away!!!!!!! Probably half the reason I misplace things!!!!LOL

Back