Mayfly hook sizes for App. Mountains

StumpHunter

Got a question for the trout fishermen. Trying to get some mayfly flies together to trout fish the SC, NC mountain streams. Planning on spending a few days fishing in a few weeks and want to make sure I have the right sizes. A #22 hook is about as small as my hands want to tie on a line. I was thinking about #22 to #12. Will these flies cover the cycle size or what do y'all use. Also will the black, tan and olive cover the colors I'll need.
I am also working on the caddis flies also and thinking the same sizes and colors. LOL I know this is a lot but Thanks for any help you can give me.

StumpHunter

I been in research all day, don't know if there is a site I have not read in the last 24 hours. After looking through my books I have found I already had almost all the information I needed. Thanks

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have many trout waters near me, but we sure get the mayflies. Huge hatches up on erie and they royaly mess with the 'normal' fishing methods when they hatch.... should be very soon too.

The ones that hatch around here are pretty large - i'd say size 12 up to 4 easy! Big and fat. Smaller ones almost always seem to be golden color or a light green and bigger ones tan & dark olive.

But again - i don't fish trout much and read alot about the tiny flies they do use with success..... tiny to me is anything under #12!!!!!! Don't forget the stone fly and some minnow patterns as well. ;)

Best of luck on your trip and hope to see your report. :)

StumpHunter

Thanks for the info Atticafish.
I talked with a guy that said he uses a #24, but they are hard for me to see with my glasses on. He did give me a good tip I'll pass along. He said to tie up a few tippets with the small flies you are using and put them in your vest, if you break off then you can tie on the tippet without have to deal with the little fly on the water. I will be making a few of them up LOL.
The mayfly hack around here in the foothills and to the coast will happen very soon and the adult flies are about 2'' long. They are tan, dun and olive. I am guessing that will be the main colors but I am going to add black and browns to the nymphs and caddis larva - pupa.
It's bad in that I fished these streams in my teens and twenty's but never with flies. I have looked at the stone flies and minnow patterns also but got my hands full with the mayfly and caddies for this trip. I will be taking a few tying materials with me. I'm trying to keep it simple but simple seems to be a lot!!

I am looking forward to the fishing but more to the learning part of the flies. I hope to be able to share some info if others need it down the road. I surly will be posting some pics of the flies I tie later. I got one week to get a lot ready as I plan to be camping 6-13 through the 17th.

quivira kid

Tie a bit smaller version on the #22's and you'll get a #24 size with all the bite a #22 can muster.
Good luck on your trip! Make sure and give us a report when you get back.

Back