Matzuo sickle hook ?

smalljaw

I have some questions for you guys that use them a lot. How good are they at keep their point? What I mean is certain super sharp hooks seem to dull after a few fish or even a single snag so do they hold up better than the Mustads or Eagle Claws, just as good, or slightly less than the others? Has anyone used them in a larger size like 1 or a 1/0? This is a tough question but where is the best place to get these from and what kind of quantity? I ask this as I had bad experiences with getting a lot from Capt. Hooks, 30% were bad and made me give up but everyone here likes them so they have to be good so I want to try these but I still have shell shock over what I got before. It looks like grandpa Bobs or Crazy Angler is where I want to get them, black chrome is the finish so any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Fatman

SJ

I don't think it matters where you buy them your going to get crappy hooks in every box of 1000, and I've never had a problem getting hooks from Capt Hooks. When there's a shortage every one is affected. I know Capt Hooks won't take the bad ones back anymore but I've always sent mine back to Matzuo. By now you'd think they get their act together and get some quality control.

I have about a 100 left and that's only cause I found some in an envelope in a box of stuff I was going through. I still have old stock Mustad and Eagle Claws. I've been watching the comments on the new Eagle Claw Black Pearl and the guys are really liking them.

I don't care what hook you use sooner or later you'll have to sharpen them. I don't stick to one place buying hooks - I go with whoever has the cheapest price and if I have any other things I'm buying I might even pay a bit more for the hooks to save on shipping. Watching all the posts of jigs I'm seeing more of the bronze and black chrome.

If you look at some posts from bomboro they're getting Owner jig hooks in really small size's if I read it right, but try and find them in the US.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
SJ Ive gone through thousands of sickles and never had a 30% junk rate! I will say Matzuos do have the worst QC. If you open up the "eyes" on your molds you can use the short or long legged hooks. THat doesnt help with the the open eyes or non pointed hooks. I prefer the black nickle also. I only use sickles on panfish. Bass get roundbends.

Is the eagle claw L570BP (platinum black) the same as the black pearl you guys are talking about?

toadfrog

I'll stick with old school hooks . Plain old round bend . I'm not agood enough fisherman to be finicky anyhow .

SaltyBuckster

I use them from size 12 to 2/0,seems like the bronze fit the best.There are too few of the bad ones to keep me from using them.The hookup rate is much better with the sickles when using chenille.That little extra hook gap is responcable for that.They are sharp and the point stays sharp.I've caught 50 crappie with the same jig when the bite is on.Last one gets hooked as quick as the first.

hunter7711

Only hook I use. Normally get maybe 10 bad hooks in a 1000. Tye on 1/0 & 2/0 for the big Crappie at Grenada. Use #1 on my Missouri fish.

smalljaw

Ron Don said:
Is the eagle claw L570BP (platinum black) the same as the black pearl you guys are talking about?

Ron Don, I'm not sure what the deal is but BP is both Black Platinum and Black Pearl depending on where you get the hooks. Barlows was the first to carry them which I believe was the EL111BP and then capt. hooks began selling them but they had all the styles and now Barlows is getting more in but Barlows calls these "black Pearl" while others call them "black platinum" and so I was confused and sent an email out to EC and they told me the finish is black platinum so no matter what you hear, platinum or pearl, they are the same. As for not getting a high junk rate with the sickle hooks, what quatities are you buying them in and where are you getting them? That high rate of ones that were bad is what turned me off because I never had witnessed any company in business for as long as them put out such garbage. I didn't have time to keep sorting hooks but I'm thinking if I get them in a smaller quantity there is a less of a chance to get bad ones but I'm not sure, I may just get 100 with my next hook order and see what happens, if I get more than 10 I just won't buy anymorre so all I can do is try. I really like the Owner deep throar jig hooks but they don't make them in anything smaller than a 3/0 but they are great, I never lost a fish hooked on that one but they are expensive as well. Thanks for the help.

Fatman

SJ

Don't know when you bought your sickle hooks but check the box and see if they were made in Korea or China. The ones made in Korea were really bad and the first ones that came out of the China Plant.

My last box I only had about 25 bad ones - that is far from a 30% failure rate. Now I'm talking size 4's. If you're talking larger I don't know many here that use over 2's or 4's.

redear

I really like sickles, but they don't work for all my applications, on some jigs tho they are the best. I never got 30% junk reate either but had some bad ones, all my molds have been modified in the hook eye area tho.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
SmallJaw I get mine from shortys which is cpt hooks. Ive only bought them in 1,000 ct boxes but doubt smaller amounts would improve the quality. Last night I poured 250 black sickles and 100 gold sickles. I only had 2 hooks that were rejects. One gold and one black.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Don said:
...I only use sickles on panfish. Bass get roundbends....

^^^ I AGREE 110% ^^^ I managed to get out and fish in the river (chasing smallmouth) at lunch twice this week. One of the days, grabbed a newly tied silver/black jig i wanted to try...... even though it was tied on a sickle. It may be 'mental' but i should know better. Had three solid hook-ups that spit the hook in short order. :mad: In an hour of fishing i managed to land one fish and lost three. Love them in smaller sizes for panfish tho. This winter, when i clean out my jig boxes - there will not be any sickles left in my river box.

Back