Matzuo Open Eye / Sickle Siwash

Bucho

I just received a few hundred open eye siwash hooks that I am very impressed of, exactly what I needed for my articulated jig- and dressed lure hook range :icon14:. Only problem is that the size 4 I ordered was exactly the same as the size 1 -bigger than a size 2 octupus sickle, and too large for my articulated fraybait.

I contacted the dealer on ebay and he stated that the differences were indeed minimal yet existent, and that was just the way it was since they were made in Korea where they use other sizes blahblahbla....

Frankly, I don´t buy it. I do however need a hook like that and won´t place a 2.500$ minimum order at Big Game (matzuo) before I get a few dozend samples. Internet research showed varying quality, folks complaining about breakage in certain badges etc.

Anyone who knows more?? :huh:

For now I use the VMC Permasteel, but it seems a bit clumsy for most freshwater applications.

Kdog

Typically, Sickle Hooks are 1 size larger. The opening is where I see most of the size differential. Unfortunately, there is no universal dimensional standard on fish hooks. Mustad and EagleClaw are pretty much identical as are Owner. The others due to their uniqueness have some differences. I gets even more fun when you looks at treble hooks which fortunately are not usually cast in place.

Bucho

Just to be clear: Here´s a pic of a few 1´s and 4´s on the left, compared to a size 2 Matzuo Sickle Octopus. I need a hook the size of the octopus or smaller. BTW the dealer was right, I´ve taken a second, very close look at them and there actually is a tiny bit of a difference - mostly in strengt, less in size.

19485457dq.jpg

Back