Major Craft Basspara 6-6 UL rod jig fishing review

earthworm77

From time to time I do a review for another outlet or two. I figured this one applied to this site so I decided to post it for you.

Author's Review: The Major Craft Basspara BPS 6-6 UL rod:

Every so often something comes along that is a diamond in the rough. The Major Craft Basspara 6-6 UL spinning rod is one of those treasures. While looking extensively at higher end UL rods that I just couldn't seem to justify because of their price tags, I stumbled upon the Major Craft Basspara. Made exclusively for the Asian market, I managed to wrestle one up on ebay for 79.00 plus 18.00 for shipping. I have seen them go as high as 149.00 plus shipping. I think my purchase came before a market developed for this rod.

016_zpslbbazkq7.jpg

The rod is a 6-6 UL rod that features 7 guides plus a tip top. The deep blue blank is pretty and highlighted by some nice graphics. The handle is a sweet split grip that features very solid cork around the reel seat and a foam butt that has some nice silver inlays and graphics on the butt end bottom.

017_zpsjhig0tlu.jpg

The reel seat has a wide range to adjust to a reel with even the largest footings although for UL, that really isn't all that necessary. The blank just above the reel seat has very clean winding checks and more pretty graphics.

013_zpsa88om10z.jpg

Visually, the rod is rather stunning. To me, this has never been an issue but the rod definitely gives you that degree of finish that one would expect in the Japanese market.

On The Water Performance
The Basspara is about as true an ultralight rod as you will find that is still fishable for bass. I would say it is a true “0” power rod. It has a moderate action and can handle baits from 1/32oz up through 3/16oz. I used 1/8oz hair jigs on it exclusively so far but I think it would make a killer drop shot rod as well for really light stuff.

007_zps9c9d0512.jpg

The rod lacks the backbone of typical bass fishing rod but it isn't a spaghetti wand either. Like I said, it is a true UL rod. I teamed it up with a Shimano Symetre 750 and 6lb Fireline and threw hair jigs all day taking several fish in the 3 to 4lb class with no issues. In the last 6 months of fishing with it, I've taken well over 100 bass on it and it has performed flawlessly.

002_zpsml5w8foc.jpg

I personally don't like to fish with a 2pc rod but it seems that all decent UL rods are 2pc. This was no exception and I have to admit that this ain't my Daddy's old 2pc rod. This one features a really solid friction joint/ferrule system that seems much smaller than typical 2pc rods. It simply is out of the way, the connection is small and I really didn't notice it at all.

015_zpsgvt2rhff.jpg

I like just about everything regarding this rod with one small exception. The rod seemed to creak and crackle when it flexed. I'm certain there is nothing defective about it but the occasional sound does take some getting used to. This may be due to the fact that it is a 2pc rod and the cracking sound could be the friction joint. Like I said, I wasn't too concerned by the time I finished fishing with it.

003_zpsihf4oq6e.jpg

In all this is a very solid UL rod that is a true UL action. The price, performance and beauty of it force me to highly recommend it. It fished comfortably and handled both the baits and the fish I hooked. I think Major Craft has several rods in this series for UL from 5-0 to 7-2.

004_zpshciw5unf.jpg

LedHed

Sponsor
Thnx for the report. Sounds like a great rod at a deceit price.
I have several Major Craft rods and really enjoy them;
Go.Emotion GES - 66 UL, Nextino NTA - 66 UL, and several Trapara series rods.
I think they are all fantastic rods (for the money) - have handled some very healthy fish using them. Downside is shipping from Japan - there are some vendors that do ship very fast. Not easy to order a rod unseen or handled - been lucky - haven't been disappointed yet.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to post it here. By the way you describe the action of it..... it would suit me to a tee. That would be a tough sell though without being able to hold it and Zoro swipe it in the store.

earthworm77

I'm currently fishing a Major Craft Trapara 662 SUL. The SUL designation means the rod is a "Super Ultra Light" action. The blank on this one is about 50% smaller in diameter when compared to the Basspara for the same length.

hookup

Got that Tica on a UL I built a couple years ago and have been exercising it in salt for perch and stripers.

earthworm77

Photos or it didn't happen. lol. That would be a blast to get a striper on a light set up like that. I've caught thousands of smallies on the Cetus and it is a very solid little reel, that GCA, with the extra spool capacity might do really well on stripers and large whites.

I was in Granville Cty. NC the past 2 weeks...at my property getting my cabin together. I think by sometime next year I will be spending more time up there, maybe we can get together and do some small stream smallie fishing in Va?

hookup

Here's one I got on the UL with 4# mono

20148Striper_zpsba70ef07.jpg

But typically, we were catching white perch

2014perch2_zps005da274.jpg
20148perch_zpsfd441f95.jpg

Also managed this fighter too

20148shoe_zps3bdbc4cf.jpg

Would be honored to host of of NY's finest on my local waters, or better yet, road trip a couple hours north & explore some trophy smallie waters in PA.

Buddy & I were able to lip over 100 last weekend on the Doah - couple 16's & 15's and the rest between 8-14". No monsters, but still a fun day on the water.

Broke my favorite rod. After a moment of shouting allegations concerning someone's parantage, decided the incident presented an opportunity to build a replacement this winter.

Back